Final Stock...I Think

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FishieAB, Jul 18, 2015.

1. FishieABValued MemberMember

I think I've finally decided on a stocking list. This will all depend on whether we move or not and whether wherever we move to allows us to keep the tank running.

Its a Fluval 29 Gallon long. 36"x16"x12". Has a lid and light. I have a heater in it set at 25 I believe and my filter is a Fluval C3. Stock I am thinking is:

1 Angelfish
    3 Swordtails
    4 Corydora's (haven't decided what type yet)

If we are allowed to keep it once we move I will be making the transition to trying a planted tank I think. In that case what base is best to use and well as what plants work best with these fish? Caves or driftwood?

2. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Cories are schooling fish and need to be in a group of 6+. Also, since you are adding an angelfish, you'd need to put warm water cories such as trilleneatus, sterbai, aeneus and adolfoi.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. bettamars

bettamarsValued MemberMember

If I'm not mistaken, don't angelfish get too big for a 29?

4. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Usually, but the OP has a 29 Long with a 36" footprint, not the usual 30" so in this case, it's acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

C.trilineatus are not a warm water cory, any one of the other three species would be ok with Angels in a group of at least 6

6. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

I would not get swordtails in there, they get big. If you do make sure they are all males so as not to have any fry.
    And yes, the cories need a group of 6+ and it needs to be warm water.
    Corydoras aeneus, sterbai, adolfoi, oiapoquensis, seussi, gossei, and duplicareus are warm water cories.

7. OP
    OP
    F

FishieABValued MemberMember

I've been told by a few people that Cory's can be okay in a group of 4. Obviously as a schooling fish 6 is recommended but could they still thrive with 4? I just don't want to overstock. I absolutely LOVE my Angel and I LOVE my Swordtails (have 2 right now) but I feel like I need a bottom feeder as well. The Chinese Algae Eater is being rehomed.

8. Anders247

You won't be overstocked. They won't be as happy in that smaller group, 6 or more is just a minimum, ideally it should be far more.
    6 is fine in your tank.

9. OP
    OP
    F

FishieABValued MemberMember

Okay.

And I've always read that male Swordtails shouldn't be kept together. If there's no female is that different?

10. Anders247

I assume yes..... it is with other livebearers anyhow.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice