Fin turning black on betta fish?

phoenixpal

I got my betta fish Phoenix around 4 months ago. He was originally in a 2.5gal planted/heated/filtered tank until recently (1 week ago) when I moved him to a new tank which is 10gal planted/heated/filtered. Both tanks kept at 79-81degrees. While he was in the 2.5gal I only did monthly water changes because that’s what I thought I was supposed to do. When I finally switched him over to his new tank and cleaned his old one, the water was pretty murky since it had not been changed in a while. For the 10gal I’m doing 20% water changes weekly and plan on testing water conditions as needed/every month. So far all the parameters for his new tank are normal.

I noticed he was beginning to develop black around the outermost part of his fins about a month ago. It was barely noticeable but now it’s very noticeable.

After looking into fish diseases, I think it’s fin rot but this is my first time experiencing anything like this (i’m a first-time fish owner) so I’m not sure. I looked up pictures of betta fin rot on the internet but none of them really look like his.

I was planning on getting him a hospital tank (5gal heated/filtered so the biology of my main tank isn’t disrupted) to treat him for fin rot, using aquarium salt and stress coat. But I don’t want to stress him out by moving him into yet another tank AND treat him for a disease he may not have.

I would really appreciate help on trying to figure out what is causing this, I don’t want to leave something untreated or stress him out.

phoenixpal

Here are some other pictures of him (from today). The lighting in the second pic of the original post was a bit misleading in his color change due to the light.

Salem

Not finrot, just colour changing. He likely has a bit of marbling in his family history.

There may be a bit of rot by the looks of his more ragged looking back but nothing serious. Keeping up with normal water changes should take care of it.

phoenixpal

Salem said:
Not finrot, just colour changing. He likely has a bit of marbling in his family history.

There may be a bit of rot by the looks of his more ragged looking back but nothing serious. Keeping up with normal water changes should take care of it.
Thank you! I was worried. I will definitely keep up the water changes. Have a great day

Finatic005

Definitely marbling. Just here to reassure lol

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom