Fin Rot!

dezdude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What do I do?? My Discus is entering the starting stages of fin rot. I could never tell with its right fin, but now that I can see it on its bottom fin, it is apparent that my discus has had fin rot for atleast a week. How do I cure this? I don't see how this can happen as I do weekly water changes and he swims around very happily all the time... he is still young though, maybe only 2 1/2 inches... I just vacumed the tank in hopes this would help.

dezdude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ok. Man, i feel so bad, I know my tank is overstocked now. I have 6 cardinals, ram, discus, 3 corries, some siamese algae eaters, 3 shrimp, and a couple snails. all in a 20g I think I am going to get rid of the corries, and algae eaters. The discus is still very young which is why I do not have it in a bigger tank, (I do not have bigger tank yet). It is not stressed at all. What size tank would be ok for just 1 discus?

ifixoldhouses

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You really need 6 discus, but a 29 would probally be good, I kept one lil cull discus by himself in a 55 with angels and other fish, he did fine by himself, but hes stunted.

dezdude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Now what does stunted mean? and how does something get stunted? I am looking to get a 55g, but I wanted to put an oscar in there becasue I dont think I can meet the needs and $ requirements to buy and take care of discus. I got mine becasue it was super cheap becasue the foreign store sold my LFS the wrong size. Out of excitedness I bought it. Is it possible that my discus is stunted in the 20g?

ifixoldhouses

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
A discus has about 18 months or so to grow, it takes lots of quality food, plenty of room, and seriously clean water, his eye will grow regardless, wether his body does or not, so stunted is a big eyed fish with a football shape more or less. do a search on the forums

dezdude

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, then I do not believe my fish is stunted, its eye is normal size and has a circle shape still. Will it become stunted in the 20g?

joshua 74

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
good water plenty food and lots of room will be good for him but u should get more discus and a bigger tank for him. wish u where in Australia i wont to get rid of my oscars there a great fish i have grown them to as big as i can without it being cruel in a 100L tank but now i need the tank and they need a bigger home.

Fish Monster

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I really do not know but I would suggest maybe if you do not mind to part with him give the discus to some one who has the means and know how to take care of it rite. I would guess under the current conditions it will become stunted thats if it survives at all. I am not trying to be mean or anything but if you got him on a whim because of price, you really need to have all your t crossed and eyes doted before you commit to such a fish. What are your tanks parametrs because you know they need like temps in the mid to upper 80s like 84-86f and water has to be pristine as possible and with all those other fish in there in a 20 gal I just do not see how thats possible to have the clean water they need with it being over stocked like that do you know what I mean? You should qurentine him if you decide to keep him and treat for the fin rot I would be carful on the medications you use in the tank though because they are so sensitive I heard of people setting up hosp tanks and doing a lot of water changes and that seems to cure a lot of the problems most the time but you may need to medicate just look into it before you put anything in the water withthe discus and always declorinate the water first with a conditioner and get that temp upto like 86f see if this helps.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom