20 Gallon Tank Fin rot?

je0409

I've been having lots of problems with my tank lately, mostly due to green water, and I've spent more time focusing on the water rather than my actual fish. Now I feel like a terrible fish mom because the other day I noticed a piece of my betta's fin just floating in the water. It eventually sank and one of my mystery snails ate it. Taking a closer look at my betta, he doesn't look too good. He's pale and I think he might have fin rot. He's my first fish so I'm unsure about why and how to fix it. Ammonia- 0 or 0.25 ppm (having a hard time distinguishing the colors on the API liquid kit) Nitrite- 0, Nitrate- 0, Temp- 78F, pH- 7.0
fin rot 4.jpg
fin rot 3.jpg
fin rot 2.jpg
fin rot 1.jpg
Is this fin rot? Or something else? If so, what should I do?

peachsonas

Hm. The dorsal fin does look kind of frayed. Maybe you could first try adding some indian almond leaves to the water? You could also try salt dips to aid in healing of the fins like once a day for a few days to a week.

Rose of Sharon

Hi,

Do you have a pic of your little guy from when you first got him? I'm not seeing any bad signs of fin rot. If he is losing some or part of his fins, it could be from getting caught on a decoration. I can't see signs of fin nipping, either (so maybe a before pic will help to verify). Any other tank mates besides the snails?

The best thing for fin issues is clean water. I usually recommend doing small water changes every other day. If you want to, you can add some Indian almond leaves to your tank, or something to provide tannins. This will tint the water brown, but it is helpful to bettas. Tannins help with healing and helps the fist to be less stressed.

Using Prime water conditioner will help hold the toxicity of any ammonia or nitrite that might pop up in your tank as well as dechlorinating your water.

Avoid using aquarium salt as it will harm your snails.

Have you tried to test your source water with your aquarium test kit? That would be helpful to know when dealing with water parameters. And you have 0 nitrates? How long has your tank been set up?

Sorry for all of the questions. I guess the more info we have, the better we can advise you on how to proceed.

He is a pretty little boy, by the way! :)

je0409

Hi,

Do you have a pic of your little guy from when you first got him? I'm not seeing any bad signs of fin rot. If he is losing some or part of his fins, it could be from getting caught on a decoration. I can't see signs of fin nipping, either (so maybe a before pic will help to verify). Any other tank mates besides the snails?

The best thing for fin issues is clean water. I usually recommend doing small water changes every other day. If you want to, you can add some Indian almond leaves to your tank, or something to provide tannins. This will tint the water brown, but it is helpful to bettas. Tannins help with healing and helps the fist to be less stressed.

Using Prime water conditioner will help hold the toxicity of any ammonia or nitrite that might pop up in your tank as well as dechlorinating your water.

Avoid using aquarium salt as it will harm your snails.

Have you tried to test your source water with your aquarium test kit? That would be helpful to know when dealing with water parameters. And you have 0 nitrates? How long has your tank been set up?

Sorry for all of the questions. I guess the more info we have, the better we can advise you on how to proceed.

He is a pretty little boy, by the way! :)
Thanks!! I'll attach a photo from when I first got him in March. I had the tank running for about a month and a half and it was fully cycled before I got him. I did have nitrates in the tank for a long while but then suddenly... they vanished. I have no idea why but I'm not having any problems with ammonia or nitrites so I decided to just leave it be. It's just him and three mystery snails and two nerites snails in the tank. I have tested my tap water and the parameters seem fine. I also don't know what his fins could have gotten stuck on. The only things in the tank (besides things like filter, heater, etc) is a little saloon hide that doesn't have any rough edges, plants, a small piece of driftwood that he doesn't interact with, and one of those ZooMed floating betta logs. I don't have any indian almond leaves, but I do have some Fritz Almond Leaf Extract. I never added it because I heard it lowers pH and I was trying to keep the pH from getting below 7 because I thought it might be empacting my snails shells. Should I add it?
207510548_163608712471622_4499505784933181325_n.jpg

Rose of Sharon

You sound like you are doing a very good job! You are a very good betta parent!

I don't see a ton of difference between when you first got him and now. Being that he is a long finned variety of betta, losing a little bit of his fins is going to occur. He could very well have squeezed into a place that was a tight fit (near the filter or heater perhaps?). They are the best at going where they shouldn't go, and squeezing into places that are far too small for them.

I am not sure about how the tannin extract works. I have heard both good and bad, and since I have no experience with it, I can't say what it will do to your ph.

Tannins can lower ph, but not drastically. And they do that very slowly. I think that you don't need to worry over your ph. Where that is concerned, the most important thing is consistency. I have read people keeping bettas with ph ranges of the mid 6 range all the way up to 8.

I have learned the hard way that it is always best to go with the more natural route rather than add any type of store bought product. You could always try a small amount of the extract to see if your little guy likes it and track what it does to your ph levels.

If you don't feel good about it, you can just try doing the small water changes just to make sure his water is super clean.

He really does look fine to me! If you do see any more signs that he is losing parts of his fins, along with the ends of his fins turning red, or black or white (along with the fin loss), then it would be time to put him in a QT tank and add some aquarium salt. But most fin issues can be fixed by frequent water changes.

I hope this helps!

je0409

You sound like you are doing a very good job! You are a very good betta parent!

I don't see a ton of difference between when you first got him and now. Being that he is a long finned variety of betta, losing a little bit of his fins is going to occur. He could very well have squeezed into a place that was a tight fit (near the filter or heater perhaps?). They are the best at going where they shouldn't go, and squeezing into places that are far too small for them.

I am not sure about how the tannin extract works. I have heard both good and bad, and since I have no experience with it, I can't say what it will do to your ph.

Tannins can lower ph, but not drastically. And they do that very slowly. I think that you don't need to worry over your ph. Where that is concerned, the most important thing is consistency. I have read people keeping bettas with ph ranges of the mid 6 range all the way up to 8.

I have learned the hard way that it is always best to go with the more natural route rather than add any type of store bought product. You could always try a small amount of the extract to see if your little guy likes it and track what it does to your ph levels.

If you don't feel good about it, you can just try doing the small water changes just to make sure his water is super clean.

He really does look fine to me! If you do see any more signs that he is losing parts of his fins, along with the ends of his fins turning red, or black or white (along with the fin loss), then it would be time to put him in a QT tank and add some aquarium salt. But most fin issues can be fixed by frequent water changes.

I hope this helps!
Okay, thank you very much! I think I'll buy some actual indian almond leaves to help lower stress levels if nothing else and just keep an eye on him. Thanks a lot!!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views
BigFish99
Replies
Views