Fin rot

MomOfLiveBearers

So I have 2 tanks that each have a betta struggling with fin rot.
Tank 1 is a 10 gallon with 1 male betta and 1 platy. Ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. completed a treatment of maracyn 2, and performed the water change afterwards. He still has the appearance of fin rot/melt though its not worse. Is clean water enough for him to recover?

Tank 2 is 72 gallon with female bettas, mollies, tetras, corys, snails, pleco, an angel, dg's, and a few eels. Only one of my females is showing signs of mild fin melt (she's a dumbo betta) is keeping her water clean enough for her to heal? There was a nitrate spike but it's back under control.

I try to avoid meds if possible in my larger tank since I have sensitive fish.
Photo of betta in tank 1 pre maracyn 2 treatment.

IMG_20210212_135934031.jpg

bcsay720

Clean water has always been enough for my betta if it pops up (usually from stress of tearing his fin a bit too much on god only knows what). I would do 50% water changes every other day, and you could even start feeding every other day to really cut down on waste. Salt is a good option, too, for the first fish, since there are no snails in the tank.

Upvote 0

tapwater

So I have 2 tanks that each have a betta struggling with fin rot.
Tank 1 is a 10 gallon with 1 male betta and 1 platy. Ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 10. completed a treatment of maracyn 2, and performed the water change afterwards. He still has the appearance of fin rot/melt though its not worse. Is clean water enough for him to recover?

Tank 2 is 72 gallon with female bettas, mollies, tetras, corys, snails, pleco, an angel, dg's, and a few eels. Only one of my females is showing signs of mild fin melt (she's a dumbo betta) is keeping her water clean enough for her to heal? There was a nitrate spike but it's back under control.

I try to avoid meds if possible in my larger tank since I have sensitive fish.
Photo of betta in tank 1 pre maracyn 2 treatment.

IMG_20210212_135934031.jpg
In addition to the advice that bcsay720 and Annabanana728 have already given, if you don't want to add meds to any tank, I feel like quarantining or doing a 10-15 minute "medication bath" (depending on what medications you use) could help if you don't want to add anything into your tanks at all and just focus on the fish that need some TLC.
I also agree that clean water and good water parameters should at the very least help them from getting worse.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ValkyrieLips
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views