Fin rot?

BenjiBear

I swear this is like having both your kids get sick at once i have another thread on my 1st betta already but now Vincent is having issues

When i bought him just over a week ago he looked like he'd been biting his fins, particularly the upper back one (sorry for bad fish anatomy) because it looked shorter than the bottom half of his fins but it was a very neat line, i didnt say to the employees bc i felt a little like "what if thats his actual tail" so anyway, i figured it would heal.

I havent seen him bite his fins but he's really happy in his new home, 5 gallons and 0ppm acroas the board currently. So thats great, but the past few days ive noticed his other fins are ragged looking now. While setting up the tank i checked for sharp edges on wood etc because the tank was made for him basically.

Do i need to treat him with meds? I'll attach a few pics. Ive never had a fish with any kind of illness so im scared rn that both my bettas arent good *cry*

Hes still eating tho and acting normally. He loves to build absolutely monstrous bubble nests and he's still at that.

Any advice is appreciated!

Attachments

• 20201220_174324.jpg
    20201220_174324.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 16086457925481999529912.jpg
    16086457925481999529912.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 25

BigManAquatics

Well, this one is much easier to deal with. Shouldn't need meds, but frequent water changes should help prevent and heal finrot and should help the tail heal some. I haven't tried it but i have been told that using stress coat can help with growth and healing as well. I have always just used water changes.

BenjiBear

Well, this one is much easier to deal with. Shouldn't need meds, but frequent water changes should help prevent and heal finrot and should help the tail heal some. I haven't tried it but i have been told that using stress coat can help with growth and healing as well. I have always just used water changes.

Awesome, so how often shoould I be doing the water changes? Like a daily 30%?

BigManAquatics

Awesome, so how often shoould I be doing the water changes? Like a daily 30%?
I usually do every 2 or 3 days at about that % when i suspect finrot ot see fins that look a little off.

BenjiBear

I usually do every 2 or 3 days at about that % when i suspect finrot ot see fins that look a little off.

Great, thank you so much! That checks out nicely, ive been doing that recently becuase the wood has fungus (i forgot to boil it so its my fault) and i cant get my hands on snails just now which is annoying. It is what it is tho. Thanks again for all your help tho on both threads!

BigManAquatics

Great, thank you so much! That checks out nicely, ive been doing that recently becuase the wood has fungus (i forgot to boil it so its my fault) and i cant get my hands on snails just now which is annoying. It is what it is tho. Thanks again for all your help tho on both threads!
I try....!

Biiba

Hi there! I have just successfully treated my fish for a nasty case of finrot. I added 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for every 3 gallons of water and also added Indian almond leaves. I also changed out 50% of the water twice a week (adding enough aquarium salt to replace what I had removed with the water change). Within a week the finrot had stopped and after 2 weeks I could see new fin growth. He’s doing great now (it’s been the whole of December) so I didn’t add any aquarium salt in the water change yesterday. I had never used Indian almond leaves before but there was a really noticeable change in his behaviour!!!! I have pics if you would like to see the before and how he looks now

Attachments

• 5FC5BE5C-FD0D-4331-920C-CDAFAFD21985.jpeg
    5FC5BE5C-FD0D-4331-920C-CDAFAFD21985.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 14
  • F1B0F9CE-52C7-4E8B-9DDF-8A27D07D0620.jpeg
    F1B0F9CE-52C7-4E8B-9DDF-8A27D07D0620.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 15
  • D2C58EAD-3257-4367-AAAD-32AB3B5C718D.jpeg
    D2C58EAD-3257-4367-AAAD-32AB3B5C718D.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 495EB42A-62C4-4A4B-8E92-D873F00919F1.jpeg
    495EB42A-62C4-4A4B-8E92-D873F00919F1.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 15

julifhy

It does look like fin nipping. How big is the tank? Are water parameters and temperature stable?
I agree with what was said above. Frequent water changes, stress coat, and Indian almond leaves (IAL) should help a lot! Stress coat and the IAL should also hopefully prevent him from fin nipping

BenjiBear

Hi there! I have just successfully treated my fish for a nasty case of finrot. I added 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt for every 3 gallons of water and also added Indian almond leaves. I also changed out 50% of the water twice a week (adding enough aquarium salt to replace what I had removed with the water change). Within a week the finrot had stopped and after 2 weeks I could see new fin growth. He’s doing great now (it’s been the whole of December) so I didn’t add any aquarium salt in the water change yesterday. I had never used Indian almond leaves before but there was a really noticeable change in his behaviour!!!! I have pics if you would like to see the before and how he looks now

Thanks for all the pics! Im glad your boy is getting better, hes looking so well in that last picture! It was really helpful and encouraging to see and thanks for the info too!

It does look like fin nipping. How big is the tank? Are water parameters and temperature stable?
I agree with what was said above. Frequent water changes, stress coat, and Indian almond leaves (IAL) should help a lot! Stress coat and the IAL should also hopefully prevent him from fin nipping

Its a 5 gallon and i dont know if i menioned but he's the only one in there besides 1 nerite because he's quite...not aggressive but really kinda...no boundaries if that makes sense lol

I used media from another tank of mine and it was my first time doing so but its been almost 2 weeks and parameters are 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite and nitrates are about 5ppm and have stayed that way (i tend to test water almost every day for the first few weeks when fish go in)

I'll see what i can do with what you guys suggested, although do IAL lower ph and stuff? Im wary bc my other tank had a crash when i set it up due to my substrate lowering my 6.8 ph to 6.4 and my kh followed dropping from 6d to 0d my big tank has crushed coral to stabilise it but not this tank. Ive just never used them before so i dont know how much they'd effect it and stuff.

Thanks again guys!

Biiba

Thanks for all the pics! Im glad your boy is getting better, hes looking so well in that last picture! It was really helpful and encouraging to see and thanks for the info too!

Its a 5 gallon and i dont know if i menioned but he's the only one in there besides 1 nerite because he's quite...not aggressive but really kinda...no boundaries if that makes sense lol

I used media from another tank of mine and it was my first time doing so but its been almost 2 weeks and parameters are 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite and nitrates are about 5ppm and have stayed that way (i tend to test water almost every day for the first few weeks when fish go in)

I'll see what i can do with what you guys suggested, although do IAL lower ph and stuff? Im wary bc my other tank had a crash when i set it up due to my substrate lowering my 6.8 ph to 6.4 and my kh followed dropping from 6d to 0d my big tank has crushed coral to stabilise it but not this tank. Ive just never used them before so i dont know how much they'd effect it and stuff.

Thanks again guys!
I haven’t checked the ph but almost instantly my betta was so much happier and is obsessively building bubble nests lol. I bought some of the mini ones from Amazon as I wasn’t sure how they would affect the tank but I will never go without them again! I think they would definitely help with tail biting as my fish seems way more chilled out!!!! Good luck

BenjiBear

I haven’t checked the ph but almost instantly my betta was so much happier and is obsessively building bubble nests lol. I bought some of the mini ones from Amazon as I wasn’t sure how they would affect the tank but I will never go without them again! I think they would definitely help with tail biting as my fish seems way more chilled out!!!! Good luck

I'll check them out anyway! I can always raise ph anyway i guess it just makes me nervous

Vincent already makes monster bubble nests :0 I'll put them in then wake up and his tank might look like a wash up tub XD as long as hes happy i wouldnt mind

julifhy

Thanks again guys!
It shouldn’t drop your pH much unless you add A LOT lol. He’ll definitely be happy with the IAL!

BenjiBear

It shouldn’t drop your pH much unless you add A LOT lol. He’ll definitely be happy with the IAL!

Thank you! Unfortunately I can't get any till Sunday but thats better than nothing! They'll prove useful anyway as my other boy is currently stressed due to temp fluctuations so it might help him too hopefully!

BenjiBear

Good news! Amazon changed their dates and i can get IAL delivered today! Super happy about that its like early xmas for my boys

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Mrjotano
Replies
Views
lindsaylbennett
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
  • Question
Replies