Fin Rot

kitkitboom

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi all. I have a Gourami that has fin rot that's pretty bad on its tailfin. It's so bad, that she rests on it at the bottom of the tank. It took me a while to notice that was the cause for her doing that, but once I noticed, I immediately started to treat the tank with Melafix. Based on how it looks, I feel discouraged that she can be healed. How long does it take to see results if dosing with Melafix? Why is her tail slanting downwards? Will it eventually correct itself? Will her fin grow back? I feel so bad for her. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks
Screenshot_20200527-103113_Video Player.jpg

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fin rot is usually caused by stress. What are your water parameters, and how long have you had her for? Knowing these things will narrow down the possibilities. Regular water changes will help her out immensely. Melafix isn't a very strong medication, it's an herbal remedy. If she doesn't improve she may need to be treated with antibiotics. Fins can regrow extremely well, as long as the base of the fin is still present. So she has a good chance of re growing it if you can get her healthy.

OP
kitkitboom

kitkitboom

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Deku-Cory said:
Fin rot is usually caused by stress. What are your water parameters, and how long have you had her for? Knowing these things will narrow down the possibilities. Regular water changes will help her out immensely. Melafix isn't a very strong medication, it's an herbal remedy. If she doesn't improve she may need to be treated with antibiotics. Fins can regrow extremely well, as long as the base of the fin is still present. So she has a good chance of re growing it if you can get her healthy.
Screenshot_20200527-151527_Samsung Notes.jpg

Do u have a recommendation for a good antibiotic??

Deku-Cory

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kitkitboom said:
Screenshot_20200527-151527_Samsung Notes.jpg

Do u have a recommendation for a good antibiotic??
Ok, your parameters look just fine, good to see.

Any broad spectrum antibiotic like Seachem Kanaplex, Furan-2, and Erythromycin will work. There's many more, but those are the most common. Just make sure to check the ingredients of what you buy, to make sure you're getting something that has an antibotic as the active ingredient, instead of salt or something else being sold as a pseudo-antibiotic. If you do treat her, it's generally reccomended to move the fish to a separate tank, because antibiotics can destroy the cycle. I've seen many people who set up a plastic bin with an airstone and a heater, and do water changes every day to keep the water quality up. That should be doable with just a Dwarf Gourami.

OP
kitkitboom

kitkitboom

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Deku-Cory said:
Ok, your parameters look just fine, good to see.

Any broad spectrum antibiotic like Seachem Kanaplex, Furan-2, and Erythromycin will work. There's many more, but those are the most common. Just make sure to check the ingredients of what you buy, to make sure you're getting something that has an antibotic as the active ingredient, instead of salt or something else being sold as a pseudo-antibiotic. If you do treat her, it's generally reccomended to move the fish to a separate tank, because antibiotics can destroy the cycle. I've seen many people who set up a plastic bin with an airstone and a heater, and do water changes every day to keep the water quality up. That should be doable with just a Dwarf Gourami.
I have a quarantine tank. Thanks so much!

New Threads