Fin Rot

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
My Emrald green Cat fish has signs of freying on his fins and they are black at the very tips. This looks like fin rot to me. What is the best treatment?

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should get Melafix. It is the best treatment for fin rot.

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I did some research not long ago and they are now saying that Pimafix is the agent that kills the bacteria that causes the finrot and Melafix is the agent that aids in regenerating the fins. They are meant to be used together in the treatment of finrot. This is one of the few times I would recommend using them both together.

Rose

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
woud raising the temp a little be a good idea?

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the temperature is under 80 degrees then the fish needs to have it a little warmer. Most medications say they work the best at 82 degrees so if you are medicating your fish be sure to have the temperature around 82 unless you are treating for Ich. Then the temperature is 85 degrees.

But yes, water being too cold is not good for fin rot and warmer water up to about 82 will make your fish less likely to get worse. Just watch closely and make sure that they are improving or they will need to have the medication to improve.

Rose

Timesdragonfly

Valued Member
Reaction score
thank your for your help. At this point, it isn't very bad at all. Just, looking a little ragged and black at the very end. The other one looks fine. I'll increase the temp add the Melafix.. and if it gets worse instead of better, I'll go buy the other stuff. Thanks again!
~J~

Fifi_Sugar

Reaction score
Please help me ,my fish has been sick with fin rot from a long time.It is laying down in the tank for two days...I seperated the other angelfish in a another tank.The guy at the pet store gave me special aquarium treatment he said it is good for my fishes condition.When i opened it it looked dark green,should i add it or no.In the country that i live in they dont provide me with most of the medications givin in this site

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think the medication they gave you probably contains Malachite Green. The really important thing to do for fin rot is to make sure that they have clean conditions, clean water and warmth. I need a little bit of information from you. Can you tell me a little about your tank.

What fish do you have?

How big is your tank?

Is your tank heated and filtered with a mechanical filter and if so what kind of filter is used please?

Can you test your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates or are the testing materials available to you?

If you CAN test, would you please test and send us the results of the tests for the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in the water?

If you CANNOT test, I would do a water change of 50% or one half of the water to clear any bad water out of the tank. Then if you have a heater try to maintain the temperature at about 28 degrees C (82 degrees F).

The medicine you have will not hurt your fish (Angel) but since I do not know if there is any other fish in there and there are fish that it should not be used with it is hard for me to know what to tell you. If the Angel is alone, it will not hurt it, but if there are other fish please let us know about them first. If the sick one is alone, go ahead and use the medication. Have they told you to remove any carbon from your filter if you have a filter? If you medicate please remove any carbon from any filter you may be running and let the filter continue to run.

I hope this has been helpful. I am going to send this on to Isabella as she is the Angel Lady. She is our "Angel" and I know that she can help you get your little one better much more than I can as I do not have Angels. She has Lovely Angels.

Welcome to Fishlore.com
Rose

Rose

Fifi_Sugar

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your help.I just checked your message now.I went to the pet shop again asking him about the nitrate test and he is like no u dont need that,i told him its important for me to know.But hes like your waters fine.I had changed 50 percent and added the fin rot medicine.Mt fish became worseee.E i donno it has white spots on it now and a blouted stomache.Its sits down most of the time in the tank and only comes up like for 20 seconds and quickly comes back down as if its carrying tuns of wieght.The filter that i had is atinan power head.Also it took me like a week to find a filter after my smaller one broke down:'(.Its a gold fish and i seperated it from the angel fish now and today i had cleaned the filter and swapped it to the angel fish s tank..bcaz they were short on filters in this country i got a filter today but a piece was missing and it was too strong so i am going to return it.How do i detect for carbon in the filter? ???I cleanded the filter now and put it with the angel fish bcaz the colour of the angel Fish is usually white and it started to get yellow at the top since i took out its filter.Is thr a reason for that.I put the oxygen pump for the goldfish bcaz i cant find a good filter at the mean time

I feel like the ppl in the pet store dont really help,because the sanitation of the pet cages is very bad and dirty and they never really help when u buy a pet.They just say come and buy another one.I am so sad this is happening to my fish.Just 5 days ago i was telling the housekeeper how cute and friendly the fish was when i was patting its head softly.And the other day i find it in its worse case ever.I felt like i gave it the evil eye. :'(Im sorry for all this drama but i feel guilty in some way looking at that poor sick fish.
Thank you for your help
Fifi
One gold fish and one angel fish . one year

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Isabella is our Angel Lady and I asked her for some help. She will check in here I am sure. In the mean time, do you know what the temperature is in your tank? Since you mention being in another country I do not know if you use Centigrade or Fahrenheit temperature, but if your fish is getting white spots it could be getting Ich and it is what is called a "cool water" disease.

You check for carbon in the cartridge that fits in the filter. Usually it is inside the cartridge or it is the black stone like that is in there. Usually we just open the cartridge up and dump it out, but I am not familiar with the type of filter you say you have so I do not know what type of cartridge fits in it. Your goldfish will probably be okay without the filter if you do frequent water changes.

Could you let us know what country you are from so we could have an idea of what kinds of resources you may have for help?

Rose

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fifi Sugar,

I'm sorry that I am responding this late. I haven't seen your messages before and I've opened a message from Chickadee just today. I hope you're not angry. In order to help you, I'll need to ask you a couple of questions. How long have you had the angelfish and how old do you think it is? In how large a tank is it (either in liters or UK or US gallons)? What other fish do you have with it and how many? What filter do you have in there and how long have you had your tank running? If you have the tests for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, please post the readings. Can you describe the angel once again? What do you mean by "the yellow color on the top" of the angelfish? Besides, is the angel swimming normally? Is it eating? Is its coloration good or is it pale? Does it have any growths on its body (such as fungus or grain-like spots, or some other "patches")? What is the temperature of your tank (either in Celsius or Fahrenheit degrees).

I'm sorry for all of these questions, but I need to know all of this in order to help you. I hope all will be well.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fifi Sugar, how is your angelfish doing?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom