Fin Rot!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Savwingrove, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Savwingrove

SavwingroveValued MemberMember

Hey guys!

Woke up this morning to see a little bit of redness on the tip of my Bettas fin... it’s very little! Maybe half a centimeter but is still alarming!

I immediately thought it was fin rot!

What is the best thing to do?

No other fish in the tank

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Can we see a photo? Could be finrot, could be nothing

3. Swampgorilla

SwampgorillaValued MemberMember

I'm not an expert on Betas ... in fact, part of me doesn't even really consider them to be fish! LOL ... just kidding.

But the number question always is ... what is the water quality? Ammonia / NitrItes / and NitrAtes? Bad water is often the cause problems ... probably the number one cause of problems. Good water is the number one solution.

But if it's not that and it requires treatment - then someone will else will have to advise on that because I know nothing of Betas.

4. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

Posting pictures now! It’s difficult to get pics because he flairs at the phone also it’s so small but this is what I got!

5. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

I am a pain when it comes to my water as I want it to be perfect! I am always changing it... every third day! And ammonia... nitrites equal 0 ph is 7.6 and nitrates are lower than 5ppm. Every time I see extra food or poop I immediately take it out! Thanks for your help!

6. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

Here are the pics I could get

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

It might be that he ripped it somehow but I am not wanting him to get any disease so!

8. CanadianFishFan

Yes looks to be fin rot, you can see the red outline

9. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

Did I catch it early? His fin literally only looked like that this morning!! What should I do?

10. CanadianFishFan

You caught it early. Many people suggest salt or other meds but i would start with just clean water! Do like %50 water changes daily. If that doesn't work we may have to bring in the meds!

11. OP
    OP
    Savwingrove

P
    perfect!! Thank you will do!!