Fin rot???

1. L

Lechocolat New Member Member

My baby oranda, Jónsi, has a white spot in the center of each side of his tail. I got him a month ago and treated him with Melafix, but it hasn't gotten any better OR worse. I stopped using the Melafix and it still hasn't gotten worse. He's not flashing or anything, so it doesn't seem to bother him. Is it fin rot or just some kind of scar?

Tank size: 10 gallons (I'm in a college apartment. That's the best I can do. Sorry. I'll try and upgrade once he starts getting bigger)
    pH: <.25
    # of fish: 1
    Fish size: 2.5"
    Temp: 72 degrees F
    Water changes: 25% every week
    Diet: Mostly TetraFin goldfish flakes and once or twice a week I feed him sun dried gammarus or defrosted unshelled peas to prevent swim bladder disease.

The picture doesn't really show it really well. It's slightly more prominent than that, but still not bad.

[​IMG]

2. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

Hi Lechocolat and welcome to Fishlore!
    It doesn't look like fin rot. Goldies get those spots every now and then.
    The only problem I see is the tank size. Goldies require at least 20 gallons of water per fish and they are not the type of fish that like to be alone. They like their "families" which would require at least an 80 gallon tank and 4 fish as a minimum. Sorry, but goldfish are the most misunderstood, and therefore abused, aquarium fish there is.

3. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

It is nothing that will spread or anything to worry about They will often get minor tears or scrapes of their long fins like this its normal relax

4. OP
    OP
    L

Lechocolat New Member Member

Unfortunately he has to remain in solitary confinement, because he's a nipper. Also, I read in this article that goldfish aren't schooling fish and therefore can be left alone. http://thegoldfishtank.com/goldfish-info/happiness/do-goldfish-get-lonely/

5. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

Sorry that he's a nipper.
    The article is very unsure of their theory.
    Breeding and raising goldfish myself for 20 years, I can tell you through my own experience that they do prefer to be kept in "families", not schools, but groups of at least 4 and any more than 7 is not necessary. They aren't schooling fish that require large numbers for comfort and often seen maneuvering together, they are just social and aware of each other in a more family oriented way. They definitely notice when they lose a member of their group, they react to the loss and remember it for quite a while before they "get over it". I've seen it multiple times, when I remove an ill fish to QT or euthanize, the rest of the group will wait by the side of the tank I removed the ill fish from until I return him/her or until they adjust to the loss even if it takes days or weeks. I remember a couple of occasions on this forum where a solitary goldfish was becoming ill. After not being able to diagnose an illness, somebody suggested the possibility that the fish was depressed due to being alone and that the owner hang a mirror on the side of the tank. The fish immediately started improving.

I know that there used to be the belief that fish had a 3 second memory, but that has been proven to be false. I think the theory mentioned in the article "Do goldfish get lonely?" will soon follow suit.

Taking all of this into consideration, if he will end up being an "only child," you will have to pay a lot of attention to him to make up for what he will lack in friends.