Fin rot???

1. BBisbee Member Member

My guy has been battling fin rot. Went away, came back, went away, regrowth, came back. Now his fins look terrible and he has this growth on his tail in the gray patch. What is it and what can I do for him? Also, i put a malaysian trumpet snail in the tank the other day. Dont know if that would contribute to this? He's in a heated filtered 5 gallon. Ammonia .25, nitrites 0, nitrates 5, 79f., 7.9 ph I posted in every group I know. I have people saying I shouldnt use prime, people saying to use melafix, do 90% daily water changes forever. What do I do?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Hello! It seems like your tank is not fully cycled. Do you know about the nitrogen cycle? I assume you know something about it since you have the tests. What test kit do you use? Because you have nitrates you at least have some BB. Did you perform the tests right after a water change?

IMO, you should definitely be using Prime. There are other good water conditioners as well, but Prime is highly recommended. I would do small, frequent water changes. Also, is that log smooth? It looks like it might be a bit pointy which could snag the betta's fins, but cant quite tell.

I like you setup though!

Edit: just saw the closeups. Not sure, but the grey part looks concerning. I dont have experience with crowntail fin rot though (it is a crowntail right?) You *might* need to use meds or salt with that. Aquaphobia, Flowingfins, BornThisWayBettas

3. BBisbee Member Member

I use the liquid master test kit. I am actually doing ammonia fishless cycles in 3 other tanks. I have never done a fish in cycle. I thought he had cycled but I actually never saw nitrites once. I do have .25 ammonia and 5 nitrates out of the tap. But have seen nitrates climb to 10 in his tank. So I don't know. :( I treat my new tap water with prime before doing water changes. I do 2 gallon changes every other day. He has been in this tank for 6 months. What am I doing wrong?

Someone said the grey was marbling. But it changes shape and color all the time. Yes. Hes a crown tail. This was him when I got him. :(

4. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I have dealt with chronic fin rot, and fin rot in a CT, and in all cases (so far) the problem healed up with more frequent water changes.

Do you rinse your filter media in tap water? Have you tested your tap water for all parameters? It does look like your tank is cycled so unless you have nitrates in your tap water then you may just be going through a cycle bump for some reason.

Keep doing water changes with Prime, at least twice a week. I will be honest though, what your fish has doesn't look like any finrot I've ever seen before.

5. BBisbee Member Member

[​IMG]

6. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

True, and I just noticed that there is a grey spot on the body of the betta. Has that always been there? Could this be fungal?

Also even in that picture from when you first got him, his fins seem different. I cannot quite explain it, but something just doesnt look the same as other crowntails I have seen.

Edit - after looking at some crowntail pictures that pic does look about normal actually. His rays just looked really exaggerated to me for some reason, but on second thought maybe I am just being weird :)

7. velveteentuzhi Member Member

If your filter is not a sponge filter, make sure the intake isn't strong enough to tear fins, that's how my betta got fin rot to begin with.
    Your ammonia levels should be 0, check your water source to see if you're getting ammonia from that when you water change.
    The fin discoloration is normal for regrown fins. Different colors and curly fins are common after regrowth.
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use prime, I use that as my water treatment for my bettas.
    I think for my battle with fin rot, I changed the water 50% every 2 days or so. Make sure none of your decorations are rough or jagged enough to catch fins.
    If you want, you can also get Indian almond leaves and put one into the tank. I've heard it helps with regrowth, but I didn't do it myself.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

It's possible that the grey spots aren't from the rot but simply pigment. White bettas often change colour so it could just be his genes expressing themselves.

9. BBisbee Member Member

I was told he was marbling. I wasnt concerned until the wart like bubble popped out. And his fins are like sloughing off slowly.

Sorry. Forgot. I never even touch my filter.

Should I just treat him for a fungal infection? Will any medicines hurt my trumpet snails?

It is a sponge filter. Not strong at all. I never ever even touch it either. I do have ammonia and nitrates in my tap. And Indian almond leaves are on the way. :)

10. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What kind of a filter do you have?

How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?

11. BBisbee Member Member

Sponge filter, 2 gallon every other day change

12. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I'm on my phone now and able to zoom in and to be honest I don't see any active rot going on. Maybe he just needs time to heal!

13. BBisbee Member Member

That's good to hear. Ok. I'll keep his water super clean and give him the almond leaves when they get here and see how it goes. Thank you. Everybody. :)

14. jhigg008 Well Known Member Member

Yay! Aquaphobia to the rescue! :)

15. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Did you do a water change right before getting the numbers? I would assume that the tank is cycled, so you should be at 0 ammonia after 24 hours.

I would definitely continue to use prime, especially with ammonia in the tap. You need something to remove the chlorine or chloramine, and the added benefit of prime is that it also detoxes up to 1ppm ammonia for 24 hours.

By never touch the filter, when is the last time you cleaned it?

16. Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I'm not 100% sure if he's partially flaring or not in the photos but if he is not his gills look really swollen and I might treat for bacterial infection instead. Keep in mind I'm not sure if he's just putting them out for the pictures but they should be flush to his head when not flaring.

17. BBisbee Member Member

Hes flaring :)

Hes a weak flarer. :( oh. And response to earlier comment, I do not rinse my filter.