Fin rot

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by stiglitz, Jan 12, 2013.

1. stiglitzWell Known MemberMember

My friend's betta has had a persistent case of fin rot. After so much time and research, none of the causes of fin rot are present in her tank. Her water parameters are 100% fine, and the betta is not stressed in any way whatsoever. The two neon tetras and one whitecloud dont bother it. The betta's behavior is perfectly normal and it is very active. We have tried:
    Melafix
    Salt baths
    Salt in aquarium
    Erythromycin
    Nothing is working. Sometimes his fins will get better for 2 or 3 days, but then just gets worse afterward.
    What should we do? We're running out of options.

Water parameters:
    0ppm Ammonia
    0ppm Nitrite
    10-20ppm Nitrate

She does a 25% water change every week using Seachem Prime for her conditioner.
    10 gallon tank.

2. lllllbladerWell Known MemberMember

What do you use to measure the water parameters? If it is a test strip kit, please consider getting a liquid one. Test strips are very inaccurate.
    Also, can we have pictures?
    Edit: NEVER use melafix for bettas, as it coats the labyrinth organ and suffocates them.

3. stiglitzWell Known MemberMember

I tested it with an API master test kit. (basically liquid test). I've been fishkeeping for a year+ so i know what i'm doing. I just have ran out of options for this bettas fin rot.
    I will get pictures to you soon.

4. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

Have you tried daily water changes?

Are you sure he's not biting himself? Ive heard they do that. Lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice