Fin Rot?

1. Tuufy Member Member

Sorry for your loss, you did the best you could...........

but its weird I have had the same thing with one of my blood fin tetras, but it has been at the base of his tail on his body, can you get fin rot on a body??????

I have treated him twice with maroxy as it seemed to come back as soon as I stopped treating him the first time.

Having just finished the 5th day of treatment I am about to do a 50% water change etc etc, however the growth has not gone down...............should I go get the marycyn 1 2 or maybe try with garlic baths?????

What do you think would be best????????

2. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Can you post a picture?

Dose it appear to look like an ulcer or any white cottony growth? MarOxy is for treating "true Fungal" infections. Fungal infections are usually from an injury and will get a cottony growth. It states it treats bacterial infections but I don't think it's the right med for the fish if it's not helping.

What is the temperature of the water?

Fin rot and Body rot are two different bacterial infections i believe. They are not fungal. I'd try Maracyn Plus as its a broad spectrum antibiotic. Clean water is also important. I'd do a large water change before hand. I recommend treating in a separate tank. After treatment do daily water changes for several days.

I had a Cardinal that got some sort of infection on the base of the tail. It was white but not cottony. It appeared to slowly deform the base of his tail; bending it. Clean water didn't help and I eventually pulled him out.

3. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

:;fQuestion moved to its own thread to avoid hijacking another thread.

Good luck healing your fish.

4. Tuufy Member Member

already in separate tank has been for a few days whilst using the other medication.did 50% water change yesterday, done another today and am now treating with marycn not the plus though as I dont have it.

I dont know how to move this thread..............................will post pictures in a new thread titled "not fin rot or columnaris I dont think?"