Fin Rot

1. Jason Well Known Member Member

I was wondering if anyone has any experience on treating fin rot. Can anyone please tell me if there are any cures that you use that are effective either medication or simple water change etc...

2. fletch Member Member

Interpet No 8 worked well for me. It also cures many other things aswell. You have to be carefull though and monitor your levels because it can disrupt your filter bacteria. I wouldnt recommend other interpet potions because they dont work all that well. No 8 seems to go against the grain though

3. Jason Well Known Member Member

thankyou for your help!

4. swimfan Member Member

J-man, I'm just curious if the treatment worked for your fish with finrot? I had a couple of cases a while back, its nasty stuff. Hope all is well!

5. Jason Well Known Member Member

Nah i couldnt find that interpet stuff so I tried melafix on my swordtail but it didnt work and she eventually died. Its lucky though that it cant be spread.

6. AquaGirl Initiate Member

J-Man, I am currently treating my angelfish with Maracyn I and II. These 2 medicines are for many diseases, among them fin rot. I don't know how effective they are because I've just started. But from what I hear they're pretty good. If you get them, I hope they work for you.

7. Jason Well Known Member Member

Thanks I was just about to post another HELP MESSAGE as my male swordtail has got some fin rot!!!
    If anyone else has got some proven remedies please please tell me as quick as I can. I use carbon in my filtration does that make a difference when medicating-what should I replace it with???

NEED URGENT REPLIES FIN ROT has KILLED QUITE A FEW of my FISHES!!!!! :'(

8. AquaGirl Initiate Member

J-Man, I've been using Maracyn I and II for 4 days now. My sick fish developed fungus on her dorsal and caudal fins. That fungus fell off her body only 2 days after using these medications (I use them simultaneously). And she looks so much better after using these medications. Maracyn I and II together treat multiple diseases including fin and tail rot. It's good to use both medications at once in case of secondary infections. Also, as you treat your fish with any medication, it's good to add to your tank 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons of water - it will relieve the stress on your fish. If you're not sure, ask Gunnie - she has recommended these Maracyns to me and they seem to be working very well so far.

9. AquaGirl Initiate Member

One more thing, when you add medication(s) to your tank, it's better to remove carbon from your filter, otherwise it will absorb all the medications and render them ineffective. If you have a quarantine tank, please use it. The water will become cloudy with medications and without carbon - but that is normal. Only carefully monitor your ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite levels during medicating your fish. As I am using Maracyns, their treatment lasts 5 days. On the fifth day in my case, it's advisable to make a partial water change. So whatever the length of your treatment is, make a partial water change after the last treatment day. Some treatment cycles can be repeated, and so should be the water change. Just carefully read the label of your medications.

10. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Excellent advice Aquagirl! I went to a pet store where some of the fish were being medicated, and the owner didn't have a filter in it, just a very good airstone with a strong pressure going through it. He said he just does water changes when he needs to, and adds the meds back in according to how much water he took out.

11. AquaGirl Initiate Member

Thank you Gunnie. Much of what I wrote here I learned from you :)

12. Jason Well Known Member Member

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou, :D :D :D

13. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Thank you Aquagirl, but I must give all the credit to my friend Bryan. I don't get sick fish very often, and always ask him for help. His advice has always been right on the money.

14. Craig Well Known Member Member

my guppies and my gold gourami hav splits in their tails but the gold dourami seemed 2 hav healed up!! he had a big split down his right fin but it healed up with no medication added now my 2 guppies hav splits in their tails!!!!!! is this fin rot or is it sumthin else?? advice needed!!!!!!!!

15. Jason Well Known Member Member

No I dont think thats fin rot. Fin rot looks like white fungus stuff only appearing on the fins. That is just damged fins. You can use medication or could just wait and if food, water and compatibility are good they should heal up. Some of my fish have had rips in their tails and have healed but keep a close eye on the fishes behaviour etc..

16. Craig Well Known Member Member

cheers j man

17. Craig Well Known Member Member

why does that happen why does their tails get wee tears in their tails??

18. Jason Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure Ive noticed it when fish get stressed out usually after being introduced to a new tank and/or when some fish have been giving them a hard time

19. Jason Well Known Member Member

Farout my swordtail has finrot again. They must be heaps succeptable to it. The cause are something like stress or dirty water. and my water is crystal clean and no-one goes after him continually, sometimes the male guppy tries to mate with him (idiot fish) but not constantly?????

20. Jessie_Lynn Member Member

I have a betta in those popular small betta tanks.I change his water regularly but somehow he got Fin rot. All the edges of his beautiful fins have turned black and pieces seem to be missing ang coming off. HELP! :eek: