Fin rot? Will fins heal?

Carolinebee

Hi,

I am currently doing the fish-in cycle and my betta seems to have perked up. From what has been suggested, medications can do more harm than good in this instance. My betta has slight fraying at the edges, and what appears to be a perforation on the top fin. Will this heal on its own?

Carolinebee

Thanks BigManAquatics. Do you suggest a particular make of stressguard for bettas? Plus, one that can be used with Seachem prime during the same water change? Can you use stressguard after every water change during the fish-in cycle?

BigManAquatics

API is the main one i know of. Don't think i would mix as they are both dechlorinators as well. Just do the frequent water changes for now. Should be enough

Carolinebee

Here are his fins

tempImageAJyHu1.jpg

Hi all,

Right now, I am doing a water change every day to alter the nitrite level. I have added dechlorinater each time for the past week. Today, I opted for Stress Coat as well (doubling up the dose). I'm still worried about about the condition of his fins, particularly at the top. I'm planning to do a water change every 48 hours now. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Here are some pics:

tempImagevEozxP.jpg
tempImage2jayxE.jpg
Hi,
Thinking of adding almond leaves instead of Stress Coat?
22L not 20 Gallons

Attachments

• tempImageRrnDLI.png
    tempImageRrnDLI.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 11

peachsonas

Hi there! You're already doing a good thing by staying on top of the water changes. Clean water is usually the perfect remedy for fin rot and the rot on your betta doesn't look too severe. You can add almond leaves, I'd recommend that over Stress Coat. You could even make an extract from the almond leaves for more concentrated tannins in your water. Here's a recipe that I used when I was dealing with fin rot with my betta

Homemade Betta Spa | Betta Fish Forum | 90104

I would say other than that just keep up on the water changes and making sure you test the water so that the ammonia levels and nitrite levels are never harmful.

Carolinebee

Hi Peachsonas,

Thank you for sharing your article with me-explaining how to get a better concentration of almond leaves extraction. I will give it a try!
Do i need to do a water change before i add this?

peachsonas

Hi Peachsonas,

Thank you for sharing your article with me-explaining how to get a better concentration of almond leaves extraction. I will give it a try!
Do i need to do a water change before i add this?
You can if you want to, but it's not required to do a water change before adding your almond leaves/almond leaf extract!

ValkyrieLips

Just to chime in, organic rooibos tea can also be used instead of IALs. Same tannins same benefits but a lot cheaper. I'm personally not convinced about any antimicrobial properties people claim IALs have but what I do know is that the tinted water absolutely helps reduce stress which is always a good thing.

Carolinebee

i've just ordered some and will keep you updated

Hi there! You're already doing a good thing by staying on top of the water changes. Clean water is usually the perfect remedy for fin rot and the rot on your betta doesn't look too severe. You can add almond leaves, I'd recommend that over Stress Coat. You could even make an extract from the almond leaves for more concentrated tannins in your water. Here's a recipe that I used when I was dealing with fin rot with my betta

Homemade Betta Spa | Betta Fish Forum | 90104

I would say other than that just keep up on the water changes and making sure you test the water so that the ammonia levels and nitrite levels are never harmful.
Hi Peachsonas,

I'm planning to boil some leaves tomorrow, could you tell me how long the solution lasts in the fridge? Thanks x

peachsonas

Hi Peachsonas,

I'm planning to boil some leaves tomorrow, could you tell me how long the solution lasts in the fridge? Thanks x
Good morning!

the boiled leaf extract should last up to several weeks refrigerated. Just make sure to warm it up a little bit or let it sit out to reach room temperature before you add it to your tank!

Carolinebee

Hi!

Thanks for getting back to me.
My calculation is as follows: 6 leaves/ 50 in packet x 6 gallons= approx 1ml???
(these are the small leaves)

Hi!

Thanks for getting back to me.
My calculation is as follows: 6 leaves/ 50 in packet x 6 gallons= approx 1ml???
(these are the small leaves)
Correction: I followed the instructions with regards to your recipe and SunGrow almond leaves 22L tank/ 50L x 20=8.8 leaves
Correction: I followed the instructions with regards to your recipe and SunGrow almond leaves 22L tank/ 50L x 20=8.8 leaves

Zid88

Think first step would be to ask, why are the nitrite levels so high. Changing water is only going to fix it temporarily if not fix the problem.

Carolinebee

Hi, quick update on my betta fish. I treated him with fin rot by interpet and fed pellets of Betta-Gold Hikari. He is beginning to get colour back to his dorsal fin, and hopefully the rest of fins will grow back over time. He is starting to create bubbles at the surface.

I have to wait at least a week if i am to carry out another treatment.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
kr128
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies