Fin Rot Treatment: Which Medications?

bloodparrotcichlidlover

Hello!
It has recently been brought to my attention that my Green Dragon Bristlenose Pleco and my two Blood Parrot Cichlids have fin rot. It is worse on my pleco and I believe all fish described are at stage two (Pleco is getting close to stage three and BPC’s have fraying at the very edge of pectoral fins.)

The biggest question I have is what to treat with. I know AquariumCo-op recommends Maracyn and Ich X, however after some digging I heard Maracyn is for gram-positive infections and Maracyn Two gram-negative, and that most bacterial infections are gram-negative. The dilemma is that Maracyn Two has more of a potential to destroy my cycle.

I was planning on cleaning the tank, dosing, leaving it for seven days while watching parameters, then doing a water change and seeing if they improve.

I do not have the option to do a hospital tank and must dose the full tank.

Stocking:
Firemouth Cichlid
Two Blood Parrots
One GoledGourami
Green Dragon Bristlenose Pleco
Three Mystery snails (I will be rehoming them soon)
Two Kuhli Loaches
One female Swordtail

AggressiveAquatics

I know A201 is experienced in fish illness and medication. But for now I just wanted to ask what size tank this is and what filter you have? If multiple fish are getting fin rot then it’s probably a water quality issue

Upvote 0

bloodparrotcichlidlover

I know A201 is experienced in fish illness and medication. But for now I just wanted to ask what size tank this is and what filter you have? If multiple fish are getting fin rot then it’s probably a water quality issue

45 gallons, Fluval 307 canister filter. All the fish are still small, so 45 gallons is plenty until they get a little bit bigger. They’re all babies/juveniles, and I plan to switch to a 125 gallon aquarium when they’re bigger.

I bought my Pleco from a bad LFS, I believe she had fin rot when I got her. I have a feeling that on top ofwater quality, her having it transferred to the other fish.The blood parrots got it at the same time. I’m going to do a water change, treat, and try to switch water changes to weekly instead of biweekly, and also change their diet to a high quality food so they aren’t just pooping out excess waste that their body can’t use because of stuff like wheat and brewer’s yeast.

These are preventative methods so it won’t happen again. I still need to treat because the Pleco is decently far along.

I have attached a photo of my Pleco (taken in January) and a photo of one of my blood parrot cichlids (taken today), you can see it on his pectoral fins.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
WendiWoo
Replies
Views
TacomaToker
Replies
Views
msminnamouse
Replies