Fin Rot Treatment... Again

peachsonas

Hi! Here's the necessary information:

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 5

5 gallon tank with betta and mystery snail. About a month ago, my betta had a mild case of fin rot. With a few daily salt baths, it went away. It's back now, and it's worse. I'm thinking that the stress of the fish-in cycle initially contributed to his fin rot. Since then, my tank has finished cycling and is processing ammonia regularly. I didn't understand how extreme the difference in his fins was until I was looking at older photos of him. The fin rot is not fatal or advanced to the point of body rot, but there are a few holes where there haven't been any before. Also, he's eating, responding and behaving as normal and has been relatively calm about the salt baths.

So here I am! Treating fin rot again. I started with a large water change (80-90%) and a 15 minute salt bath (dosed 1 tablespoon per gallon in a 2 gallon bucket). I removed the plastic plant in the tank to prevent any additional tearing. I'm thinking about either sanding or just removing the cuttlebone in my tank since it has sharp edges. There's also an almond leaf in there.

My question is - does this sound about right? I am completely against using medicine for this. I plan on doing smaller water changes daily during treatment to make sure the water is pristine at all times. Over how many periods of time is it okay to do these salt baths? Can a higher dosage be done? What happens if this doesn't work? (Though I really plan on trying to do this correctly and thoroughly so this doesn't happen again and his fins heal fully)

Advice will help greatly. Thanks

BigManAquatics

Never had to go past frequent water changes on any of my bettas fpr fi rot, even the really bad case i had several years ago. Though, that one, i did use stressguard.

I would reccomend when the finrot is gone, to do 2 50% changes a week if it is a 5 gallon tank for a few months. It very well may help keep the finrot away.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
RayClem
Replies
Views
LightBrownPillow
  • Question
Replies
Views