Fin rot, tears, or biting?

1. Oceangirl53 Initiate Member

Does my betta have fin rot, is it torn or is it being bitten?
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405385842.369477.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405385906.523022.jpg ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405385939.465882.jpg
    Is bettafix a good option? If so, would it harm the 2 mollies and catfish that are already in there? If it is harmful, will the fins heal on their own? I really can't set up an extra tank right now;( please help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. Fatecallsuponus Initiate Member

From what I can see from your pictures, it doesn't look like fin rot yet, but they're a bit blurry. What's the size of your tank and your water perimeters?
    Bettafix and Melafix can harm the labyrinth organ of your Betta. Some people use them to heal open wounds, but it can't heal fin rot. What I recommend is using aquarium salt at the recommended dosage to keep your Betta's immune system up, and do extra water changes to keep the water clean while his fins heal. If the water is dirty, he might really get fin rot.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Clement Chee Initiate Member

Yea, it doesn't look like its fin is rotting. You will probably see the obvious when it happens.

Recently, one of my betta's fins are rotting and I have no idea why. My guess is, it could be it is trying to be all active around the ornaments in the tank.

4. FiscCyning Member Member

It's possible he's tearing his fins on the tank decor. Plastic plants like those will often tear betta's delicate fins. Live or silk plants are much better in a betta tank.

5. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Yes, I'd bet 10-1 on the plastic plants being the cause. This is a known issue with betta. If you don't see any infection, very frequent water changes is the best bet. I would recommend aq salt or Maracyn Plus, but you would have to separate out whatever kind of catfish you have, they cannot tolerate most any medication or salt.