Fin rot? tattered fins

Katco

Hello again!

I would like to ask for help or advice on how to deal with fin rot in a betta fish.

Tank conditions:
5 gallon, filtered (1 HOB & 1 sponge filter)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 10ppm (did a partial water change, have to check nitrates again)
Lightly planted: jungle val, anubias, hornwort.
1 nerite snail
1 betta (added Monday this week)

Background:
My cousin recently purchased a betta and placed him in his 20 gallon community, but called me to take him Monday night coz he wasn't getting along with his tankmates and started developing ripped fins. We weren't sure if it was caused by other fish nipping his fins or if it was fin rot.

I took him Monday night and placed him in my 5 gallon. He seemed to be doing fine, but today I saw that his dorsal and tail fins look more tattered than they did yesterday. I was hoping it wasn't, but now I'm guessing he may have fin rot.

Is it possible to cure his fin rot without resorting to medication? I would like to avoid medication a much as possible. I hope those with more experience with fin rot can give me some tips/advice.

Thank you very much!
Kat

Katco

Thank you very much for your reply, Betta'sAnonymous . Do you think 25% water changes would be ok? Or should I be doing as much as 50%?

I did put Stress Coat today. I usually use Prime when I add new water. Should I switch it out for Stress Coat for now, or would it be ok to still use Prime, then add Stress Coat as well an hour later?

Thank you!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I think the stress coat supposed to dechlorinate as well, can't remember for certain, so should just add that if so and skip the prime for a while. And 25% is fine. The cleaner water should help healing and promote regrowth, which the stress coat is also supposed to help promote regrowth.

Upvote 0

Katco

Yes, it dechlorinates as well. Ok, got it. Thank you very much!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Just realized i need to check the expire date on my stress coat. We havent had to use it for a few years, but my wife does like to have it on hand.

Upvote 0

Katco

I bought mine early last year. Its expiry date is this August. I hardly used it too. But the shop didn't have any bottles with a later expiry date. Shop owner said though that I should store it in a cool, dark place, and it should still be good to use beyond the expiry date if the smell, color and consistency hasn't changed. Same goes for my Prime and Paraguard, which are also going to expire soon. I don't know if what he said is reliable, but he sets up and maintains saltwater tanks, so I hope it's from his years of experience.

I'll be trying the water changes and stress coat for now, and if things don't get better, I'll be asking for more advice here in the forums. But I'm crossing my fingers and hoping there will be some improvement.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

You can also add indian almond leaves. They will tint the water but help with healing and stress.

Upvote 0

Katco

Thank you awilkinson871 ! I have Azoo Triple Blackwater. I don't know if it works like IALs (since it also has almond leaf extract). But I can definitely go outside tom to see if there are dried fallen leaves I can pick up and clean.

Attachments

• P_20210709_230923_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20210709_230923_vHDR_On.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 8
Upvote 0

Katco

Hello again! Sorry but I have more questions. Hope you can all help. Thank you!

I've been doing the daily 25% water changes with Stress Coat. I don't know if I was doing it right though. I've been adding the Stress Coat for the 25% of water that I've been changing out. Was I supposed to be dosing for the full tank volume? Also, am I supposed to be using the double dose for fin repair (is it safe to double dose the stress coat for a betta?). And does this mean I should dose Stress Coat daily?

In some fins, it seems like some of the fin rot stopped progressing, but he lost some more tissue on his tail fin since I posted here on the forum last Friday. It happened in spots that were already darker in color and seemed to have already been affected by the fin rot. Will I see the affected (rotted fins) fall off before it starts to get better and grow back?

What is a good time frame to observe if water changes and Stress Coat are working? How long before I should stop and move on to meds?

Thank you all!
Kat

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Hello again! Sorry but I have more questions. Hope you can all help. Thank you!

I've been doing the daily 25% water changes with Stress Coat. I don't know if I was doing it right though. I've been adding the Stress Coat for the 25% of water that I've been changing out. Was I supposed to be dosing for the full tank volume? Also, am I supposed to be using the double dose for fin repair (is it safe to double dose the stress coat for a betta?). And does this mean I should dose Stress Coat daily?

In some fins, it seems like some of the fin rot stopped progressing, but he lost some more tissue on his tail fin since I posted here on the forum last Friday. It happened in spots that were already darker in color and seemed to have already been affected by the fin rot. Will I see the affected (rotted fins) fall off before it starts to get better and grow back?

What is a good time frame to observe if water changes and Stress Coat are working? How long before I should stop and move on to meds?

Thank you all!
Kat
Usually i dose for the full tank the first time then for the amount changed after that...and usually throw in a bit extra. I would give it a couple weeks at least if they aren't getting worse, because nothing works overnight.

Upvote 0

Katco

Thank you very much for your quick reply Betta'sAnonymous . Ok, I did dose for the entire tank the first time.

Do you use just the regular dose of 5ml per 10gal? Should I stick with this, or should I be doing the double dose?

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

Thank you very much for your quick reply Betta'sAnonymous . Ok, I did dose for the entire tank the first time.

Do you use just the regular dose of 5ml per 10gal? Should I stick with this, or should I be doing the double dose?
I haven't used it for a long time, so can't remember what i did exactly! I probably did double dose or at least did a 1.5 times dose. I tend to do that with my regular conditioner as well.

Upvote 0

Katco

I haven't used it for a long time, so can't remember what i did exactly! I probably did double dose or at least did a 1.5 times dose. I tend to do that with my regular conditioner as well.

Ok. Thank you very much! I will continue and observe for a couple of weeks. Will be back on here for an update or for more advice. Hoping that the water changes and stress coat will be good enough. I will try to post photos if I can. Have a good week ahead!

Upvote 0

Katco

Hi everyone, back again.

I thought my betta was doing better.. Actually, the analfin appears to already have a bit of regrowth, but then again there seem to be a little more split and tattered edges on the tail and dorsal fin. And I just noticed that when the light shines from behind him, parts of the tail between the rays appear translucent and thin. I'm worried that the tail is going to split more from there. But looking at him from a normal angle, you won't really notice anything wrong apart from the frayed edges. It has only been a little over a week since I started doing daily water changes, and only a few days since I raised the dose of Stress Coat by a little (not double). Water parameters are still ok.

If anyone has seen or experienced the fins thinning out (but not yet ripped) and have been able to remedy it, or if anyone has any ideas, would really appreciate your input. Thank you all!

Attaching photo of water test results taken about an hour ago.

Attachments

• P_20210719_185906_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20210719_185906_vHDR_On.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

Katco

Pic of my guy from today.

Attachments

• P_20210721_180158_vHDR_On.jpg
    P_20210721_180158_vHDR_On.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0