Fin Rot Suggestions

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hey guys I have recently had some problems with my parameters.

The problem is fixed now but now I have another problem.

Before I had the parameter problem my betta severely ripped his fins on something I had put in the tank. I feel horrible about it but it happened. So then I had ph problems just as his fins started to heal and now he has fin rot. His fins are deteriorating and have red and white fuzzy spots at the end. I am doing daily water changes and I have added garlic to the tank as I have had success with it before. But I don't think it's helping. I really don't want to use chemicals unless I have no other choice.

My tank is a 10 gallon planted with the betta and mystery snail.

My parameters are:
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0-10ppm
Ph 7.2
Idk of you need it but it's always good info.

Does anyone know of a way to cure fin rot without chemicals? Please share any ideas or if there is a really good chemical treatment that won't harm my plants or snail.

Here are some pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The go to fix for a Betta with fin rot, is frequent water changes with conditioned water (I use Prime). I also make sure the water is kept around 80F. I also gravel vac if overfeeding is contributing to the problem. Hope this helps.

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
varmint said:
The go to fix for a Betta with fin rot, is frequent water changes with conditioned water (I use Prime). I also make sure the water is kept around 80F. I also gravel vac if overfeeding is contributing to the problem. Hope this helps.
Thanks. I use ro water because my tap water is really bad. Should I still put prime in it, does it help with the fin rot?

I frequently test my ro water and it it completely clean everything reads 0 or really close to.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would be concerned about the mineral deficiency in the RO water.
Clean water is really going to pull him through on this one, that's the natural way of healing sicknesses in most fish.

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fanatic said:
I would be concerned about the mineral deficiency in the RO water.
Clean water is really going to pull him through on this one, that's the natural way of healing sicknesses in most fish.
I add api aquarium salt to the water because I know it takes out all the minerals. The water is medium soft right now. Thanks for the advice. I'll do daily 25-50% water changes and probably gravel vac once a week.

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
varmint said:
Prime wont do anything to cure fin rot. If you use ro water only, then you don't need Prime. What temp is your water at?
OK thanks. My temp is 26C (79F) but I can bump it up if nessasary.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Goldfishfreak said:
I add api aquarium salt to the water because I know it takes out all the minerals. The water is medium soft right now. Thanks for the advice. I'll do daily 25-50% water changes and probably gravel vac once a week.
Salt often does more harm than good for bettas and doesn't add back in the essential minerals they need. You'll want to look into a good remineralize, but until then I agree with frequent water changes. Good luck!

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rtessy said:
Salt often does more harm than good for bettas and doesn't add back in the essential minerals they need. You'll want to look into a good remineralize, but until then I agree with frequent water changes. Good luck!
Thanks!! Maybe I should clarify what kind of salt it is I attached a picture. And I have found it works well as all my fish have never had problems and I had a gh and kh test at one point and after I added the salt for the first time it was working really well. I may be wrong but I have been using it pretty much since I started and never had a problem.

Attachments

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I definitely would stop adding that to your water, it's doing no good to the fish.

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fanatic said:
I definitely would stop adding that to your water, it's doing no good to the fish.
I see... Why would my ro water read no gh or kh and then when I add it in the right amount it goes right where I want it. I'm not doubting your knowledge or nothing I would just like to know why it does that. What do you suggest I use instead?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Goldfishfreak said:
I see... Why would my ro water read no gh or kh and then when I add it in the right amount it goes right where I want it. I'm not doubting your knowledge or nothing I would just like to know why it does that. What do you suggest I use instead?
I personally don't know, but using salt when it's not necessary is not a good idea.
My preference is Seachem Equilibrium for mineral replacement.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Honeslty I have no idea either, I know epsom salt jacks up the gH but I didn't know aquarium salt did anything...
I would also like to add one or two chemical treatments, just in case, that have been invert safe in my experience. This is only if you up the water changes and see no improvement in about a week, or if it is progressing fast and makes you uncomfortable. Kanaplex does not state it is invert safe but I have successfully used a full treatment, 3 doses every other day, with a nerite and cherry shrimp, and a partial treatment with amanos, mystery snails, and ramshorns without any casualities. I also did a methylene blue dip (this is a bit more extreme) by taking the betta and placing him in 1/2 gallon with 10 drops( not in the main tank!), and dipping him in a different container then placing him back in the main tank. No ill effects on the nerite or plants. Methylene blue is 110% not invert safe, or plant safe, and stains everything like crazy. Also, if you use it, it will stress him and he will likely clamp his fins once put back in the main tank.

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Fanatic said:
I personally don't know, but using salt when it's not necessary is not a good idea.
My preference is Seachem Equilibrium for mineral replacement.
OK I will see if they have this on Amazon or at my lfs. How do you suggest I go about adding it (other than following the directions on the package) as I have the salt and such in my tank already and my gh and kh are good. I'm also wondering why I haven't had negative effects from the ro and salt ever. I have been using it since I started and then I added the salt and I have never ever seen problems. No severe bloating no trouble breathing or anything. I just thought it was fine because I had seen no negative effects

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rtessy said:
Honeslty I have no idea either, I know epsom salt jacks up the gH but I didn't know aquarium salt did anything...
I would also like to add one or two chemical treatments, just in case, that have been invert safe in my experience. This is only if you up the water changes and see no improvement in about a week, or if it is progressing fast and makes you uncomfortable. Kanaplex does not state it is invert safe but I have successfully used a full treatment, 3 doses every other day, with a nerite and cherry shrimp, and a partial treatment with amanos, mystery snails, and ramshorns without any casualities. I also did a methylene blue dip (this is a bit more extreme) by taking the betta and placing him in 1/2 gallon with 10 drops( not in the main tank!), and dipping him in a different container then placing him back in the main tank. No ill effects on the nerite or plants. Methylene blue is 110% not invert safe, or plant safe, and stains everything like crazy. Also, if you use it, it will stress him and he will likely clamp his fins once put back in the main tank.
OK thanks I will do this if it gets worse or progress really quickly.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Goldfishfreak said:
OK I will see if they have this on Amazon or at my lfs. How do you suggest I go about adding it (other than following the directions on the package) as I have the salt and such in my tank already and my gh and kh are good. I'm also wondering why I haven't had negative effects from the ro and salt ever. I have been using it since I started and then I added the salt and I have never ever seen problems. No severe bloating no trouble breathing or anything. I just thought it was fine because I had seen no negative effects
I would just follow the directions on the packaging and do it weekly.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would first do several smaller water changes, you won't be able to do the big ones while adding it. Do about 3 10% a day if you are able to slowly change the parameters to better ones. Overall, it will help with recovery because the parameters will be that much better, but a sudden change can be harmful

Goldfishfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rtessy said:
I would first do several smaller water changes, you won't be able to do the big ones while adding it. Do about 3 10% a day if you are able to slowly change the parameters to better ones. Overall, it will help with recovery because the parameters will be that much better, but a sudden change can be harmful
Thanks just want to clarify you mean 3 10% in one day or 10% water change for 3 days. Or something else. Just want to be clear

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Goldfishfreak said:
Thanks just want to clarify you mean 3 10% in one day or 10% water change for 3 days. Or something else. Just want to be clear
Haha, yeah I just re-read this, it sounds confusing, my bad. I mean three ten percent water changes in one day, I can't do the math right now lol but I'll do it soon and let you know when it's okay to do larger water changes

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom