Fin rot simple medicine

Bsplendid

Hello everybody. I wanted to share this simple cure for fin rot. I had a Betta until yesterday (i had to separate her in a smaller aquariym due to bad seller advice to stock the aquarium with danios and the Betta, and now another person is taking care of him), and you know how the fin rot can be persistent and frustrating. I literally have tried all of the medicine they had in the petstore. The only thing that worked for me is a vitamin C, one pill every 2 weeks. I hope this will help someone

Coradee

Did you take the vitamin C or the fish?
Sorry, couldn’t resist :D

A little more information would be helpful so members know what you did & how you administered it should they want to try the same thing.

Bsplendid

Hahahah good one. And we both took the vitamin C.
Anyway just a regular Vitamin C from a farmacy, put it into the tank. It will disperse into the water, and it doesn't harm the fish in any way. Once in a two week, so twice a month. I don't know what kind of pills you have in your country. Here is a picture of the one I used

Attachments

• IMG_20211017_111222.jpg
    IMG_20211017_111222.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 8

MacZ

I see a very big red flag here: You don't give a dosage, neither of the concentration of the vitamin supplement, nor for the volume of water and the water parameters.

I can probably explain why and how it works.

Ascorbic acid, also known as Vitamin C can lower pH provided the KH is low enough, resulting in a milieu detrimental to bacteria. That is probably what effects the bacteria on the fishes fins directly. Parallely the fish gets a good dose of Vitamin C strengthening the immune system.

I have to make clear, though, that ascorbic acid can be overdosed and lead to kidney problems when used regularly, while in very soft water it can cause a drop in pH.

A similar effect can be reached using IALs and Oak leaves while adding vitamin supplements designed for the needs of fish to the fish food.

Bsplendid

I see a very big red flag here: You don't give a dosage, neither of the concentration of the vitamin supplement, nor for the volume of water and the water parameters.

I can probably explain why and how it works.

Ascorbic acid, also known as Vitamin C can lower pH provided the KH is low enough, resulting in a milieu detrimental to bacteria. That is probably what effects the bacteria on the fishes fins directly. Parallely the fish gets a good dose of Vitamin C strengthening the immune system.

I have to make clear, though, that ascorbic acid can be overdosed and lead to kidney problems when used regularly, while in very soft water it can cause a drop in pH.

A similar effect can be reached using IALs and Oak leaves while adding vitamin supplements designed for the needs of fish to the fish food.
My tank was 7 l and the dosage is 1000 mg per pill as in the picture that i have attached. I used it for two months. I didnt undestand what dosage are you suggesting is right? Can you please explain in simple words? Thank you

MacZ

I'm suggesting not using it at all. Especially with that high dosage and adding it every 2 weeks the chances are high fish might develope kidney stones and hence kidney failure after a while.

Bsplendid

Wow, i hope i havent done any damage to my Betta. Im sure to keep you all updated about her condition. And if she does have kidney failure, how would i know? How can you tell?

MacZ

Short term it's fine, but definitely not a thing to use long term. I doubt you are at a point where the damage is already done. But I would definitely stop dosing that much of that stuff regularly. If you want to make sure the fish gets the necessary vitamins there are some supplements for fish. 1-2 drops in the food or every week is enough.

And if she does have kidney failure, how would i know? How can you tell?
Dropsy. It's a symptom of many diseases, but in effect it is acute kidney failure.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Katco
Replies
Views
WendiWoo
Replies
Views
SarahPar
  • Question
5 Gallon Tank Help with Fin Rot