Fin rot? Sick Betta

1. L

Laurencain9 New Member Member

My Mercutio has been very ill for a few days now. I did a water change about 3 days ago, and I noticed after, he had a weird twitch. He would just sit at the bottom of the tank and twitch and sometimes bolt across the tank. Then he began to just stay at the bottom of the tank. On his side. He has been like this for a few days now. I have done lots of research and checked for ich or velvet. No signs. He's not active or eating. He lives in a 5 gallon tank, filter, heater, live plants etc. I am really at a loss here. It's actually stressing me out because I cannot figure out what to do.

Not sure if I can add a photo, but some of his fins do appear to be jagged/broken off.

2. OP
    OP
    L

Here is a photo of his fins,

[​IMG]

3. mg13

mg13 Well Known Member Member

Hi, Welcome to fishlore!

You defiantly look like you have fin rot on your hands, although just one question, did it happen suddenly? or was it gradual? also, what are your perimeters?

4. OP
    OP
    L

Thank you for replying! I got him some bettafix, do you have any other ideas? It's been a few days I have been using bettafix. and he still won't eat or be active. To me it came on suddenly. I just got him a 5gal tank about a month ago and it has been non stop activity. He loves to greet me etc. and then one day he just stopped being active and the signs got worse. I am always alarmed when he stops eating, since he's a little piggy. I am still puzzled about the twitching he does.

5. mg13

Do you have a test kit? Perimeters would be really helpful.

From what I can see it seems like it's defiantly fin rot, but the other symptoms don't really make sense,
    Flowingfins? octavio?

6. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

Please stop the bettafix, it contains melaleuca oil which irritates the labyrinth organ, causing it to swell which ends up suffocating the fish.
    Daily water changes are all you need at this point, I have seen fin rot much worse heal with just water changes.
    Have you done anything different? What have you added to his water(dechlorinators, salt, medications, ph buffers)?

7. OP
    OP
    L

I actually have a test kit arriving tomorrow. I have been having trouble with my water being cloudy, not sure if it is because we have a water softener or what. But my research on betta's pushed me to buy a kit.

That is what is confusing me. And was unsure if it was fin rot or not. He looks incredibly sick, and the other day was laying on his side. he looks miserable.

8. OP
    OP
    L

stoping the bettafix now. thank you for the information. usually when I do a water change I just add the "bettasafe" for my tapster. but since he has been sick I have been adding aquarium salt per water change. and API Accu Clear and API Stress Coat.

should I be adding anything else?

9. mg13

be very careful with the aquarium salt, remember it doesn't evaporate or get filtered out, and you don't want to over do it.

increase your water changes and get us the perimeters as soon as you can, that's really all I can think of.

10. Flowingfins

Flowingfins Fishlore VIP Member

I would stop the AQ salt as well, if used too long or overdosed it can cause liver and kidney failure. Water changes are all you need at this point.

11. OP
    OP
    L

I've used the AQ salt once. But perfect, I'll do a water change before bed tonight and continue daily. When my test strips come in tomorrow, I'll get you the numbers. I truly do appreciate all the help. It has been on my mind non stop...

for the water change, should it be 50%? or less? or more?

12. mg13

If you are going to change daily, 25% is fine,

for future reference, liquid test kit is much more accurate than the strips, so when you rin out, look into getting the liquid kit.

Keep us posted!

13. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

I'd stick with 50% personally, It's a fairly small volume. With a single inhabitant fish, it's much better to start with water changes and monitor health before going into meds.

Just stick with water conditioner during the changes.

Post the results of your test strips too. While not the best, they give a good idea of what's going on

14. OP
    OP
    L

I was just able to test his water. The PH is at 7.5, GH is 0, KH is 240, and NO2 is .5 and NO3 is 0.

I am not too sure if any of these are in a good range, sorry, I've had him for two years and he's always done well.

When I got home he seems to be a bit worse. Coming up for air, but laying on his side and looks worse. More loss of color as well.

15. mg13

Do you have an ammonia test?

I just want to warn you that he might not make it, but we'll still try our best

From the tests it looks like your Tank is not cycled.Does he struggle to the surface, or does he just like to sit at the bottom as a preference? (in other words, does he sink almost? or does he mean to swim to the bottom?)

16. Grimund

No ammonia test? That's a big one.

Do you have a prime? It can neutralize nitrite and ammonia for 24 hours.

I would do a large water change and keep an eye on your nitrites (NO2). Make sure to vacuum the gravel as well to get any poop and uneaten food.

Edit: be sure to use water conditioner too

17. OP
    OP
    L

He does not struggle at all to get to the top and his fins even flare out when he does. Then he immediately swims back down and lays down. I do not have an ammonia test but I could get one tonight. I've always only had the water conditioners etc. I've never seen him like this.

Edit: wouldna stronger filter or air pump help?

18. mg13

Could you maybe post another picture? if you are taking it on your phone, turn it horizontally, I think that will make it post correctly and not sideways.

19. OP
    OP
    L

[​IMG]

Hopefully this one is helpful. I was able to get him after he swam to the surface.

20. Grimund

I'd look into the API master kit. For the price of 50 strips you get 800 tests for NH3 NO2 NO3 and PH.

Seachem Prime is my go to conditioner because I get more out of the bottle by means of uses and it's a 3 in 1 product. That's my draw do it.

But water change is best. Just match your current water temperature.

Is there a break in water tension at the surface? Like any disturbance from bubbles or what not?