Fin Rot- Sad Betta

kelsealowell

Reaction score
The betta fish I've had since January has lately been acting lethargic & looks like he has some fin rot? This is my second betta fish, and I've never experienced this.
Water changes: 25% weekly
Tank: Ten gallons, heater, filter, (no air bubbles I think he hated them)
Temp: 77-80
Water param: 0 am, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate, ph 6.5
Feeding: betta flakes alternating freeze-dried blood worms twice a day

I treated with betta fix for five doses, and have been doing 50% water changes since I noticed. Phil's tank was full of plastic plants so we've since removed those. He just seems sad now. Hes been blowing tons of bubbles but just doesn't seem as active as he used to be.
Theres a possibility I could be going crazy, but his fins look different to me. Pic of Before & after

Attachments

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This fish does not look like it has fin rot to me.

Also, a killer of bettas is bettafix. If I was you I would cease the dosing of bettafix. Instead purchase some Paraguard. It is super gentle and works incredibly well and cures many many things from parasites to bacterial infections. I've used it for ick and finrot and it works perfectly well on bettas. I swear by it. It gets rid of fin rot in a matter of a few days!

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Fake plants can easily rip a bettas fins and the water will cause fin rot, even if they parameters are perfect , doesn't mean the water is clean 100% the best thing for fin rot is to do water changes and add in some Indian almond leaves along with roobis tea and aquarium salt. Also I would stop using bettafix as it does more harm than good. It's a basic essential oil thatdoes nothing but hurt the bettas labyrinth organ .

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Also bettas always change color. I'll post a before and after picture of my betta, who does not have fin rot, he just has naturally frayed fins

before:
IMG_0932.jpg

After:
DraxShowOff.JPG

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Finatic005 said:
Also bettas always change color. I'll post a before and after picture of my betta, who does not have fin rot, he just has naturally frayed fins

before:
IMG_0932.jpg

After:
DraxShowOff.JPG
Is that really the same betta???? My betta now looks EXACTLY how yours did in the first pic. Mines is a black orchid betta. That's crazy how similar they look from the clear fin edges to the light blue stripes down his back fins. How long did it take for his colors to change? . That's crazy ! I'm wishing my betta stays the same, but the fact ours look identical.... he might change colors too!

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
Is that really the same betta???? My betta now looks EXACTLY how yours did in the first pic. Mines is a black orchid betta. That's crazy how similar they look from the clear fin edges to the light blue stripes down his back fins. How long did it take for his colors to change? . That's crazy ! I'm wishing my betta stays the same, but the fact ours look identical.... he might change colors too!
Yep! Same betta. His name is Drax. That is crazy. Post a pic? Well since that pic it has been a year and about 4 months but he has looked like that for probably six months. The red developed a lot later and at first I thought it was fin rot but turned out that his colors just changed. Does your's have the white spot on his head?

OP
kelsealowell

kelsealowell

Reaction score
I’m definitely going to pick up some of the roobios tea and the almond leaves. Overall I just want him to be happy! I wasn’t sure if it was fin rot, but wanted some other opinions.

Finatic005 said:
Yep! Same betta. His name is Drax. That is crazy. Post a pic? Well since that pic it has been a year and about 4 months but he has looked like that for probably six months. The red developed a lot later and at first I thought it was fin rot but turned out that his colors just changed. Does your's have the white spot on his head?
No, it’s just the reflection. The only white is slightly at the bottom of his fins which is why I was concerned

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Finatic005 said:
This is blue , I got him a month ago and no color change yet ! They look similar imo so maybe he will change colors !
2020-02-27 03.13.43 1.jpg

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
This is blue , I got him a month ago and no color change yet ! They look similar imo so maybe he will change colors !
2020-02-27 03.13.43 1.jpg
Wow, they do look similar. No white spot then. He will definitely color change soon, but could turn a completely different color.

kelsealowell said:
No, it’s just the reflection. The only white is slightly at the bottom of his fins which is why I was concerned
The white on his fins doesn’t seem like fin rot. If you look closely, is there any shredding?

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yeah sorry If I hijacked your post, but the best thing to do for any fish if they are sick is water changes , even if the parameters come out perfect. I still would look into Indian almond leaves and roobis tea. I know the tea is $1 at a Meijers store If you have one. The leaves I order from amazon, but bettas loves to hide behind them and they also release tannin which is the antI bacterial& fungal properties the leaf has.

kippielynn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
Yeah sorry If I hijacked your post, but the best thing to do for any fish if they are sick is water changes , even if the parameters come out perfect. I still would look into Indian almond leaves and roobis tea. I know the tea is $1 at a Meijers store If you have one. The leaves I order from amazon, but bettas loves to hide behind them and they also release tannin which is the antI bacterial& fungal properties the leaf has.
How do you use the almond leaves? Do they just float on the top?

Thanks!

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
kippielynn said:
How do you use the almond leaves? Do they just float on the top?

Thanks!
You can do this, although if you want them to sink, soak them in water until they sink or put a rock on top of one in the aquarium

Blueberrybetta said:
Also, what is the plant in the background, the one he is really close to? I really like the way it looks.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Finatic005 said:
Also, what is the plant in the background, the one he is really close to? I really like the way it looks.
That is a Cryptocoryne WalkerI Lutea ! I love them so much I bought 5. They bloom a single leave and they are so cute !
2020-02-27 03.11.09 1.jpg

Finatic005

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Blueberrybetta said:
That is a Cryptocoryne WalkerI Lutea ! I love them so much I bought 5. They bloom a single leave and they are so cute !
Awesome I will look into them!

New Threads