Fin Rot/ Ripped Fins

1. Buttbee24

Buttbee24 New Member Member

I am back. -sigh- so I noticed that my Berta's fins are ripping. I tried Bettafix, followed the instructions but it didn't help his fins heal at all :/ advice pleaaaase, I tried to use Aquarium Salt also, but I feel a bit sketchy about it. There are no decorations in the tank that could possibly rip his fins? How do I properly treat it? I don't turn on the filter when I put Bettafix or AQ salt right?

Attached Files:

2. Tiffany_e97

Tiffany_e97 Valued Member Member

Your bettas fins aren't servely damaged, I doubt that medication will be required. Pristine pristine water is the best thing you can do right now. What are you water parameters and how often are you doing water changes? To me this looks like fin nipping, but pictures can only show so much. When you look at his fins do you see any discoloration or fuzzy edges? I would stop using the bettafix as many people don't report good experiences with it, the salt however can be beneficial and is something I use in my bettas tank.

3. OP
    OP
    Buttbee24

I haven't exactly bought the HP kit thing yet. I'm trying to do water changes every once a week. I have a 5 Gallon tank with a heater and filter(do I still need to constantly do water changes? I heard that if I have a filter I don't have to do much but I still question it) no fuzzy edges as I can tell. I just see the edges of his fins curled up. I use this as AQ salt, is it good?

Attached Files:

4. Tiffany_e97

Normally once weekly water changes are fine, however with your bettas fins being in a vulnerable state id up the changes to every other day until fully healed. Any AQ salt is good to use, however you must remember that salt does not evaporate with water and the only way you'll get the salt out once you dose your tank is through water changes. Is your tank cycled at all? What kind of filter are you using? Its common for bettas have a hard time with filters input and outputs.

5. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

When my betta had fin rot I just changed the water every day, added lots of Indian almond leaves, and used a double dose of stress coat.
    His fins are still healing, but they are soooo much better than they were before
    I wouldn't recommend aquarium salt though, I started using it and his scales started to stick out like he had dropsy but when I stopped the salt his scales went back to normal again.

6. OP
    OP
    Buttbee24

I use Tetra Whisper Internal Power Filter medium sized. For water changes, do a full water changes?

7. OP
    OP
    Buttbee24

What brand of stress coat do you use? Do you do a full water change? Its a bit hard to do a water change everyday when using a 5 gallon tank, so do I do a full one or half way? And he seems ok with AQ?

8. Bettatude

Bettatude Well Known Member Member

IMO pump filters, and an adjustment valve to control the bubble pressure are best for Bettas. Bettas aren't fans of having a current and the current wreaks havoc on their fins.

A mini hydro sponge filter would be great for a 5 gallon. Always keep your filter running.

A filter is not a replacement for routine water changes. I do 50% water changes after 2 days routinely (I have 10+ gallons) and my tank is cycled.

Bacteria can get in between the rays of a Betta's fin, and this is what causes fin rot. You want to keep bacteria levels low and routine water changes will help with that.

9. Tiffany_e97

I wouldn't recommend doing 100% water changes, more along the lines of 50% is suitable. I would check the output and input of your filter to make sure it's not too rough or sucking up your bettas fins. That's a sure fire way to tear them up.

10. LucyC

LucyC Valued Member Member

He was in 3 gallon hospital tank, and I did 50% changes every day. it was API stress coat. When I tried the salt his scales stuck out which I think is bad, so I stopped it. I'm no expert though, so take this all with a grain of salt:)
    Did his fins suddenly become like this or was it a gradual process?