fin rot questionn

fluxuploll

Reaction score
i gota a lil question bout fin rot.

can fin rot be healed naturally, or does if hafta require medication.

thz

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
The two biggest causes of fin rot, according to the books I've read, are poor water quality and stress.  Because poor water quality can cause stress, I tend to think that stress is the greatest contributor to fin rot.

Many authors suggest to clear up any water quality problems first and see if that has a positive impact on the fin rot.  I think it's also a good idea to remove any stress-inducing stimuli you can think of, as well.  For example, too many large water changes can cause stress, IMO, so smaller water changes might help reduce stress.

This suggests that fin rot problems (at least some, anyway) can be handled without the need for meds.  But, if the fin rot problem continues after making basic changes, the use of meds is certainly warranted.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Mike

fluxuploll

Reaction score
thz

how bout if its a fin tair? anything i can do bout that

LZ Floyd

Valued Member
Reaction score
You can start with making sure the water parameters are up to snuff: ammonia=0 ppm, nitrites=0 ppm, and nitrates<20 ppm. If it's a Betta, temp between 80F and 82F. If the tail shows no further deterioration, it will likely heal, though evidence of healing might not show up that quickly.

If the reason for the tear is another fish or some object in the water (decoration or plastic plant with sharp surfaces), the fish should be separated from such.

Mike

Jendayi

Valued Member
Reaction score
fluxuploll said:
thz

how bout if its a fin tair? anything i can do bout that
When I brought my betta home from the store, his tail had a very large tear that almost cut the tail in half (you can see the pic in my avatar or sig). After about three weeks the tear was completely healed, and I did not medicate him with any products. I just tried to keep his water very clean.

Now he's got fin rot but the initial tear healed up very nicely on it's own before the other junk started.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with LZ Floyd.. try what he says and if the problem gets worse, then treat your Betta with Fungus Clear, Maracyn-2 (with or without Maracyn) or TriSulfa, following the package instructions.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom