Fin Rot Progressing After Stopping Salt And Betafix

Chris92xx

Reaction score
Hello all,

So basically I bought a betta about 12 days ago with fin rot. I was treating with half dose of aquarium salt, half dose betta fix and low dose methylene blue for 7 days. This seemed to halt the decay.

But now I seem it coming back. His fins are looking jagged at the end where they previously seemed unaffected. He originally had a hole in his bottom fin that tore open towards the bottom but I just considered it to be mechanical stretching from swimming around. Now it devoloped a new pin sized hole at the top of the tear and it is getting uncomfortablly close to his body.

He has been spending more time sleeping in his log the past 2 days. But when he is out he is exerting a lot of energy. He is swimming around a lot more than I have ever seen from him, but not frantically, just energetic. Previously he just spent a lot of time floating at the top of the tank. In ways he seems more lethargic but his appetite is still very good.

I am doing daily 25% changes. I am already using almond leaf, garlic extract and vitamin drops added to his food.

Do I pick back up with betta fix and salt? When do I decide to use antibiotics? I am scared how close the one has gotten to his body.

I feel like I am plaguing this forum with questions. Rex definitely would not have made it this far without you all. He was very sick when I bought him and his improved a fair amount. I am incredibly grateful to you all.

Ammonia: 0.1 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
Nitrite: 0.25 ppm
pH: 6.6
Temp: 79 F

Bottom pic is September 3rd
Top pic is today (not as extended as he is in first pic) you can see the pin hole that is developing

Attachments

Last edited:

Katie13

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow, he looks rough! First, your parameters aren't the best. I would do a 50% water change and dose Prime to get them down. Salt and BettaFix typically do more harm than good. The best thing for fin rot is to turn up the heat a little and do water changes daily. I always keep my bettas at 82.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom