Fin rot? Please help

Belphegor88

So Belle, my halfmoon betta fish is ill right now.
Symptoms started showing about a week ago.
When I saw it starting, I put in some Aquarium Salt from API.
3 days salt bath, didn't work.
Changed to Bettafix and dosed it for 4 days.
It only got worse, so I did a 100% water change and put API salt again.
That was about 20 minutes ago.
He eats well, flares well, but generally looks tired.
Normally he was quite active. Occasionally resting on beds.
But he's resting more than usual these days and I'm terribly worried.

The size of his tank is about 4 gallons.
I do 80% water change every day.
No filter, only a heater. water temperature is about 79ºF.
I feed him 5-6 pellets of natural betta food from mobydick in the mornings,
and a small quantity (about the size of his eyeball) of Betta food flakes from Tetra at nights.
He is 8-9 months old.
The fins are becoming transparent or ripped, but not the outer corner.
It started near the body and that's why I'm not sure if it's fin rot or something else.
Also, the area around his anus is turning white.
Please, please help.
I've already asked my local betta community but no answers, nobody seemed to know about it.
Please.... I don't want him to leave me yet. He's still young and I love him so much..

You must be registered to see images

Aquarium77

Its hard to tell if its fin rot to me, my bettafish fish lost some fin a while ago, and he grew it back in a couple months when I found put in some Jungle start right with aloe vera, it has instructions on the back for damaged fins, but that's all I can advise I'm sorry.

Upvote 0

Rose of Sharon

Wow, he is a beaut!

Does he constantly flair? That will sometimes cause fin damage and tears. Because they are near the body, and I don't see anything else on his body as far as damage, that is what I think might be going on.

If that is the issue, you might need to take steps to keep him from seeing himself so clearly. Also, I don't know what you do for lighting, but dimming his lights might help, too.

I recommend that you add an Indian almond leaf or two to his tank. The tannins that they release will help somewhat with the issue, but more than that, they help with fish stress. It will turn the water brown, but it is beneficial to the betta.

If you aren't using a water conditioner, I recommend Prime by Seachem. It will hold the toxic stuff, and make the water safe for him.

You can try dosing him with an antibiotic just in case it is bacterial. Kanaplex (kanamycin) works against gram negative bacteria. It is really hard to find api fin and body cure right now (it has the anitbiotic doxycycline). I do know that American Aquarium still has api fin and body, if you can order on-line (), but it won't last long, so if you want that, you will need to hurry and order it.

It will take time for his fins to recover. The water changes are a good idea since you don't have a filter.

I am not sure about the area around his anus. I would just keep an eye on him to make sure nothing else develops.

I hope he gets better!

Upvote 0

Belphegor88

Its hard to tell if its fin rot to me, my bettafish fish lost some fin a while ago, and he grew it back in a couple months when I found put in some Jungle start right with aloe vera, it has instructions on the back for damaged fins, but that's all I can advise I'm sorry.

Please don't be sorry! It's perfectly fine. Thank you for replying.
Good to hear your bettafish recovered :)
Actually, watching him for a few more days, he seems very healthy except for those transparent spots, so I decided to stop worrying. After all, I've done everything I could have done. He even made a bubble nest!
Wow, he is a beaut!

Does he constantly flair? That will sometimes cause fin damage and tears. Because they are near the body, and I don't see anything else on his body as far as damage, that is what I think might be going on.

If that is the issue, you might need to take steps to keep him from seeing himself so clearly. Also, I don't know what you do for lighting, but dimming his lights might help, too.

I recommend that you add an Indian almond leaf or two to his tank. The tannins that they release will help somewhat with the issue, but more than that, they help with fish stress. It will turn the water brown, but it is beneficial to the betta.

If you aren't using a water conditioner, I recommend Prime by Seachem. It will hold the toxic stuff, and make the water safe for him.

You can try dosing him with an antibiotic just in case it is bacterial. Kanaplex (kanamycin) works against gram negative bacteria. It is really hard to find api fin and body cure right now (it has the anitbiotic doxycycline). I do know that American Aquarium still has api fin and body, if you can order on-line (), but it won't last long, so if you want that, you will need to hurry and order it.

It will take time for his fins to recover. The water changes are a good idea since you don't have a filter.

I am not sure about the area around his anus. I would just keep an eye on him to make sure nothing else develops.

I hope he gets better!

Thank you! He is beautiful indeed.
He does flare by himself sometimes, but not to the level that would damage his fins. So I think he's good.
I do use conditioner, and I ordered some almond leaves and received the package yesterday, floated one leaf on his tank, he made a big bubble nest!
Other than the transparent parts of his fins, he eats well, flares well, poops well,
swims around playfully, rests well, and seems generally happy!
So I decided to stop worrying. Instead I'll focus on keeping his water in good condition. I'll leave below a photo of him I took this morning.
Thank you for your reply! :)

Upvote 0

FoldedCheese

That's awesome that you saw improvement. Keeping the water pristine with multiple large WCs per week may prevent fint rot in the future. I assume since he responded so well to clean water that was the issue that caused his fin rot. Keep up the big WCs. Good luck.

Upvote 0

Belphegor88

HEY GUYS!!
To my greatest relief, turns out it wasn't fin rot.
Seems like Belle has the marble gene ❤❤❤❤
He is soooooo beautiful oh my god
Still, thanks to you all for your concerns and advice!!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
veggieshark
Replies
Views
Lucyn
Replies
Views
Momgoose56