Fin Rot! Please Help!

Aly's_Betta

Reaction score
Ok so I've posted about minor fin rot before, and it never really got better, but it didn't get worse...until now. On Sunday I noticed that my betta Blaze's tail got so much worse. It started with a tear which keeps getting bigger every day and his tail getting shorter. Normally he lives in a 2.5 gal with 25% water changes a week, and his temp is a stable 78 degrees F. I will get his water tested at Petco this Saturday to check his parameters. His tank mate is an Amano shrimp. He is currently in a .5 gal bowl as a hospital tank that is also being kept at 78 degrees. He is getting a 100% water change every day and 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt. Not sure whether to use betta fix or not, as I know there is a lot of controversy over if it does more harm than good. I've attatched a picture of him from earlier today. What else should I do to heal him and how long will it take???

Attachments

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Firstly, i don't recommend adding salt to the betta's aquarium. this potenially weakens their immune system because of their low tolerbility to it. Second, the best way to combat fin rot is with clean water. Almost everycase of fin rot started because of dirty water. i also recomend that you use a herbal fin rot medication to help with the fins. However, don't add in betta fix because the oils suffocate the betta labryinth organ. Add indian Almond leaves to the water which have anti fungul properties. This cure should fix it up. Also, know that the fins will regrow back, but they won't look as good and not be as big. Think of it as a scar. hope this helps.

Aly's_Betta

Reaction score
DutchAquarium said:
Firstly, i don't recommend adding salt to the betta's aquarium. this potenially weakens their immune system because of their low tolerbility to it. Second, the best way to combat fin rot is with clean water. Almost everycase of fin rot started because of dirty water. i also recomend that you use a herbal fin rot medication to help with the fins. However, don't add in betta fix because the oils suffocate the betta labryinth organ. Add indian Almond leaves to the water which have anti fungul properties. This cure should fix it up. Also, know that the fins will regrow back, but they won't look as good and not be as big. Think of it as a scar. hope this helps.
Ok I will try the Indian almond leaves. Thank you!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom