Fin rot? Platy with cloudy fins

Neurogirl1515

Hi! I recently (about 2 weeks ago) purchased a platy and a couple guppies from a local fish store. It just recently reopened, and I knew the female platy was sick. I still decided to get her because I loved her colors, and I figured I can probably treat her better. Luckily, I’d already been using this forum, so I got a small quarantine tank. (Yes, I’m sure it’s too small looking back, but on a budget it was the best I could do. It’s temporary until they move to a glorious 55 gallon main tank).

When I got them, Veronica (platy) showed clamped fins, was hiding, and I could see what I assumed was ich. The best way to describe it (I don’t have a good picture) is that maybe she had Ich, or maybe she was regrowing her fins from a fish attack. I assumed the latter, but treated for ich anyway.

She seemed to get better for a little while. She was eating more, her tail looked better, and the fin clamping had dropped dramatically. Now, it appears that she has clouded spots on her tail. She clamps sometimes, and the guppies are beginning to have cloudy spots as well (but not to her extent). I’m thinking it is fin rot, but I’d like for someone else to weigh in. I’ve never dealt with fin rot. I’m attaching a couple of pics

Parameters -
82 degrees
0 ammonia and nitrite
5 nitrate

Thank you in advance for reading and recommendations!!

Attachments

• 0E42F436-B532-4123-AA21-CFDE5C418493.jpeg
    0E42F436-B532-4123-AA21-CFDE5C418493.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 30
  • BD62F001-C8BA-44A2-BC85-A60FA63C26E6.jpeg
    BD62F001-C8BA-44A2-BC85-A60FA63C26E6.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 29

CoronaExtra

You should use API E.M Erythromycin to help with fishes fin rot if that’s the case. It is very helpful and you can also add aquarium salt to be a general cure by itself. And lots of water changes. If it’s ich you suspect then use Ich X if the aquarium salt does not rid of it by itself

Upvote 0

Neurogirl1515

You should use API E.M Erythromycin to help with fishes fin rot if that’s the case. It is very helpful and you can also add aquarium salt to be a general cure by itself. And lots of water changes. If it’s ich you suspect then use Ich X if the aquarium salt does not rid of it by itself

I did a dose of Maracyn. During just the one day without treatment, symptoms started again. I have had these fish in quarantine for a month or so! Every time one problem is solved, another occurs. I’m just using heat and salt treatment, which seems to be doing the trick for now. It’s just frustrating to not be able to move them to their forever tanks. Thank you for your input!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Effieee
Replies
Views
Nugs
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies