Fin Rot or Tear?

Mike138

Reactions
Wanted to get some folks' opinion in tail condition. What started a few days ago as an enclosed tear on the third rib down has progressed to the first and second rib in his tail. He was much more active recently and flaring a lot which I thought might have caused the tear (he previously had rot and wasn't like this at all).
Water parameters are all good and tested yesterday. 10 gallon tank, filtered and heated. He is active and eating normally.
Appreciate anyone's thoughts or possible treatment. He has had larger pinhole tears before and they've always healed, this one just seems a little larger than normal. Thank in advance!

Attachments

Best Answer - View NBettas83's answer

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
I agree with NBettas83, it looks like a tear.
To help with the healing process and to keep it from getting infected and turning into fin rot, keep the water really clean with 25% water changes every 2-3 days.
Remove any sharp decorations in the tank if there is any.
Hope I helped :)

OP
M

Mike138

Reactions
Sorry...Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is between 10-20.
Nothing sharp (that I can tell) and only new additions are a couple synthetic plants. He's always running into stuff, but I just attribute that to him being a lunatic!

NBettas83

Well Known
Reactions
Experience
1 year
Mike138 said:
Sorry...Ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is between 10-20.
Nothing sharp (that I can tell) and only new additions are a couple synthetic plants. He's always running into stuff, but I just attribute that to him being a lunatic!
Do you know why the Nitrate is that high? Does he have tankmates?
Plastic plants will rip fins.

New Threads