Fin Rot, Or Tail Nipping?

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi! So today while I was feeding my betta, Eclipse, I noticed that the top part of his back fin was ripped. It kind of looks like sections, and the bottom part is fine, so I kind of think that it’s fin nipping. He is a Halfmoon by the way, so his tail is kind of big. He is behaving normally though, begging for his food, trying to jump for the food if I don’t drop it into the tank fast enough, and being his normal happy self.

Tank info -

Tank size: 3.5
Tankmates: One Mystery Snail
Tank Parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - About 10
Heated: Yes
Filtered: Yes
Cycled: Yes

If you need any other info about my tank, just ask.
I’ll also include pictures of his fins.
IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

IMG_2157.JPG

Any suggestions are appreciated!

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fancyfins said:
Hi! So today while I was feeding my betta, Eclipse, I noticed that the top part of his back fin was ripped. It kind of looks like sections, and the bottom part is fine, so I kind of think that it’s fin nipping. He is a Halfmoon by the way, so his tail is kind of big. He is behaving normally though, begging for his food, trying to jump for the food if I don’t drop it into the tank fast enough, and being his normal happy self.

Tank info -

Tank size: 3.5
Tankmates: One Mystery Snail
Tank Parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - About 10
Heated: Yes
Filtered: Yes
Cycled: Yes

If you need any other info about my tank, just ask.
I’ll also include pictures of his fins.
View attachment 434392
View attachment 434393
View attachment 434394
Any suggestions are appreciated!
Usually fin rot is accompanied by a dark black line or something along that. I'd just suggest doing daily water changes, they can be small, and keeping the water heated. Its completely avoidable and easily treated. He might be bored. Try switching up decor maybe or adding or taking out some stuff cause it's also important he has swimming room. And check the decor cause he might be ripping his fins on some of the decor!

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
He does have a dark-ish line on the edge of his fin, but it’s been there since I got him. And I just switched up the decor on Saturday. And I got a Anubias Nana for him (Don’t worry, its tied to a rock, not buried in the sand.) I’ll try the daily water changes thing, but it might end up being every other day because of work... And it’s heated to a constant 78F

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fancyfins said:
He does have a dark-ish line on the edge of his fin, but it’s been there since I got him. And I just switched up the decor on Saturday. And I got a Anubias Nana for him (Don’t worry, its tied to a rock, not buried in the sand.) I’ll try the daily water changes thing, but it might end up being every other day because of work... And it’s heated to a constant 78F
Ok great. Some bettas just naturally have that dark line without it actually being fin rot. My betta has it and I've not noticed her fins receding. Just keep watch on him, along with water changes maybe add a almond leaf or extract of one cause it's benificial for betta's and it helps them heal fin damage

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
So, do you think is fin rot or fin nipping? I’m sorry for asking, but I didn’t really get a clear answer Plus I want to see if anyone else will see this and respond to give their opinion

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My sister had a halfmoon, white, with no dark edges. He nipped his fins till' he looked like a crowntail. Turns out, his fins were really heavy and it dragged him down. He no longer bites and swims better maybe that's it.

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
I feel like that’s it also. And, the fins are nipped in sections, so that there’s a long rectangle between each short section. How do you think I should get him to stop? I did try a ping pong ball earlier this month so he wouldn’t get bored, he nipped at it once and then never did anything with it again.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think that if he's doing it for that reason, he'll stop when it is light enough for him. I don't think it's boredom though (but you can try things like live/ wiggled frozen food). I'd invest in a floating betta log for him or even the betta leaf hammock.

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
He already has a lead hammock in his tank, and now that I’m looking at him it’s more thin strips of missing tail. It’s not just a layer of ragged missing tail.

emmysjj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Pretty tank!

I would just do water changes every other day. Whether it is fin rot or biting, that's the best treatment.

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks! And I’ll try to do water changes every other day. At least until I see new fin growth. Then I might cut down to maybe every three or four days.

Fancyfins

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi! So my betta did something to his fin, I still don’t know what, it looks like he nipped it, but it kind of doesn’t? But it happened last week, and I’m waiting for his fin to regrow. I still see no new fin growth, it’s just ripped fin, and I don’t know what I should do. I posted about this the day after I noticed the rips and a couple people said daily water changes. I tried, but ended up doing every other day small water changes. He’s still happy, and lively, and he eats everything that he can see. (Literally, he tried to eat his rock ornament once.) But there’s nothing happening. I’ll attach some pictures, but what do you guys recommend I do? I’ll give you info about his tank:

3.5 Gallon Top Fin Tank
Heated To A Constant 78*F
Filtered/Cycled
One Mystery Snail As A Tankmate
One Live Plant (To help with Nitrates)
Current Tank Parameters-
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: Less than 10 (I just did a water change today.)

I would SO appreciate it if you could give me advice! Thanks!

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG

P.S. Sorry for such terrible pictures! He hardly EVER stays still!

Wystearya

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I agree, clean water is the best treatment for fin regrowth. Try 50% changes every other day if you can. I know it's a lot, but pristine water really does help fin growth.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom