1. Amazon Prime Day!
    Attention Amazon Prime Members: Not to miss deals on lots of products for 36 hours starting July 15!
    Go here: Amazon Prime Day Deals
    Dismiss Notice

Fin Rot? Or Something Else

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Buggers, Jun 19, 2019.

1. BuggersNew MemberMember

I have had my male Betta Mufasa for about 5 months now and he has always had black tips on his fins. But recently I’ve been noticing his fins look kind of shredded. But the color hasn’t changed on him much, I can’t tell if it s fin rot or what is going on with him. He’s been acting normal and had no abnormal coloring around the tears. Any ideas?

2. LadyArtemisValued MemberMember

Tell us more. What is he in. Is he alone? You keeping on top of those water changes frequently? If you can, post a pic. Some Bettas are bred to have kinda tasseled looking fins, which get more pronounced as they grow. Fin rot usually looks like something is eating away at the fins, the pectorals (fins on sides of body they “paddle” with) in particular get shorter and frayed looking where they weren’t before. Hard to say with no pics.

3. BuggersNew MemberMember

This is him
    29650446-9B18-44DF-98BE-03F44751D4A8.png91DBB91F-44F6-4D5B-B15E-6F6B0DC6C889.png00F8515B-0DEC-4D75-B7C4-8FF084EF9DA6.png

He lives in a split 10 gallon tank. Filtered and heated. I do weekly water changes. When I first got him he had the perfect rounded Halfmoon fins and now they look kinda ragged

4. LadyArtemisValued MemberMember

TBH he looks pretty good to me. Nothing that screams fin rot. Have they receded any (gotten shorter) as this has appeared or are they growing longer and bigger as this is happening? Other thought is do you have plastic plants or anything with a stiff enough edge he could be catching the fins against and leading to little tears, but honestly it’s so uniform I think it’s possible he was bred with a Betta type who has typically has fins like that. If he is still eating and behaving normally just keep an eye on it, and if you do think the fins are receding or he seems unhealthy in other ways then you should probably QT and treat him.

5. BuggersNew MemberMember

He only has real plants so maybe it is just how he was breed. Thanks for the help.

6. ZaiWell Known MemberMember

He looks fine to me. Absolutely gorgeous by the way

7. BuggersNew MemberMember

Thank you!