Fin Rot Or Something Else?

1. M

Miss Kitty Initiate Member

I bought this betta fish about 11 days ago His tail split before it curled before he lost a chunk. There is no fraying and the tips are not discolored. I had another betta fish in this setup before him with no issues. The only other tank mates are two dwarf frogs and a nerite snail.

I have attached before and after pictures.

Attached Files:

2. BReefer97

BReefer97 Well Known Member Member

His fins are clamped in the second picture, so I wouldn’t say it’s fin rot, something is causing him to be really stressed out. He may be stressed out from his fin splitting, but mine has done that and he never clamped fins because of it.

What are your water parameters? (Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate).

I can’t tell if I’m reading your post incorrectly but do you have another Betta Fish with him currently? Or did you have a Betta Fish in there previously?

3. OP
    OP
    M

His fins actually started to curl around after the split. I have been checking on him periodically, and he has not fanned them since the split happened. It is harder to see because of how he is positiones, but there is a chunk missing from his tail fin (seen in the picture right below where the dorsal is trailing).

I have no other fish in with him now. The other betta fish was previous to him.

I need to pick up some testing strips for the tank today. I can update the parameters then.

4. OP
    OP
    M

Okay, the water specs are:
    NO3 - 40
    NO2 - 0
    pH - 8
    KH -120
    GH - 180