Fin Rot Or Just Tears?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AllieSten, Apr 21, 2017.

1. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

I was trying to set up a divider for the 10 gallon last week, and Finnley kept escaping through one of the sides. So I assumed it was tears from that. It had a bit of exposed plastic. I fixed the issue and have been doing a daily water changes for the last 5 days. He only has silk plants, and his floating log. He has a betta hammock, but I rearranged it today, and there is no exposed wires or anything. Today I just moved the sponge filter to the empty side of the tank, so he has very little water movement. I have been dealing with a family member in the hospital, so I hadn't really looked at his fins until tonight. Just coming home, doing the water changes, and going to bed. But he is definitely worse since Sunday.

These are the best pictures I could get. He is a veil tail, and I have had him for about 6 weeks. He is in fully cycled, 10g divided tank. Last parameter check last night was Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5-10, pH 7.6, temp 80.1. I did a 50% water change tonight already (plus every day since Sunday)

Edit: oh and I moved him from a 5g bow front acrylic tank to the 10g tank almost 2 weeks ago. He had a small tear then from a decoration, but I removed the decoration, and it was healing nicely before this.

Before:
    2ae81ff60099a8a98edca637b21c23a6.jpg
    d843768d8e070206841ed96aea60407a.jpg

Tonight:
    2aa4a1c7771c6b0464d6d7921cf2ca0c.jpg
    835a80ea4067dc0c4204eed67ab90601.jpg
    1991a97fbddd88bdfaf4e698ea4c133d.jpg

2. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

Looks like there is the tiniest amount of fin rot going on near the tips of , but it could just be the lighting, and a little bit of tearing.

3. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

I got some better pictures. It doesn't look as bad from this angle.

68d171bf20a2b73ef7f8e0c1dfc719c4.jpg
    a6f778c9dd6e5b44896918cebf7a057f.jpgab9b550607727cf70d644cb69446fc52.jpg
    db73e158396dca74fd0c0fb5c6c62efe.jpg

4. CycerathValued MemberMember

the back fin looks a bit like fin rot in the last picture (in 2nd post). but it could be a little of both since tearing can lead to fin rot.

5. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

This is what I was thinking. The tears are starting some fin-rot, and I've just noticed it early.

Now What do I do about it? Lol

6. CycerathValued MemberMember

water changes every 2-3 days and use a synthetic slime coat and/or some aquarium salt should knock it out. basically just wanna boost his immune system and he'll heal on his own. same treatment for either, unless it's sever fin rot then you'd use a med like maracyn1 and maracyn2 but it doesn't look like it's sever.

7. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Ok, as it happens I just got some aquarium salt the other day to add to my first aid kit. So glad I picked some up.

I use Prime as my dechlorinator, that is supposed to have a slime coat in it. Do you think that is enough? I can pick up something else if I need too. Won't be until tomorrow, but I don't think that should make a difference tonight.

@BeanFish what do you think? Oh and I picked up some methylene blue because I have seen it used so often lately and since you are such a big advocate for it haha (not saying I need to use it now, just pointing that out lol)

8. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I think you will be fine with what you are doing, water changes, a little salt and some prime. It usually doesn't take them long to heal up.

9. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Thank you. I will add salt now.

10. MattS99Well Known MemberMember

I add a little of my own slime coat after that, but I'm just paranoid. I've found water changes, a little stress coat, and Melafix to cure fin rot. I like Melafix, most people don't.

11. CycerathValued MemberMember

prime will work. i use Stress coat+ myself. it has instructions on the bottle for healing. stress coat says to double to dosage to help them heal.

12. AllieStenFishlore VIPMember

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the quick responses and all the help. All I need is a sick fish on top of a sick gramma lol (at least this is way easier to deal with haha)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice