Fin rot or caused due to attacks? Also this Guppy cannot eat, spits stuff out

lobobrandon

Reaction score
My shopping experience yesterday was not the best. The corys I bought are perfect and so are the female guppies and the male endler, but due to my limited German I couldn't really converse with the guy who was a substitute and not the usual guy at the store who knows about fish. It was my second time shopping, had I known I would wait for the guy with the know-how to be on site.

The tank had 5 male guppies, all of them had very similar colorations and two of them had somewhat damaged tails. I thought they were being picked upon. I did not think about finrot. I have attached a picture is it enough for one of you to determine if it is rot or damage due to fights? If it is finrot what would you suggest I do? I got bronze corys and platy other than guppies in my tank with the intention of adding some bee or cherry shrimp later on (once I figure out where my pH stands). I do not have a quarantine tank, but I do have a bucket I can use if I need to add any medications. I notice two small strands of red near the anus region, like hair sticking out which I do not see on my other male cobra guppy. These are really small and I cannot get them on camera, they are 1/5th the length of the analfins give or take. It is not poop, that's for sure. I see it for a few hours now.
20200530_184742.jpg

Other than the problem with the tail, he swims fine and is excited to see food just like all the others. He puts in small pieces of flakes and spits it out, completely. Not like what the other guppies do where they try to break it up. He just cannot take it in, even tiny pieces that people with glasses may not be able to notice. The same with red mosquito/fly larve (mucken in German). The larve seems to be something he loves he keeps trying, he is trying right now, but spits it out completely. Even the endless which are smaller males can take it in.

To me, it seems like something is blocking his mouth or throat. Could it just be old age, if yes I am disappointed? This batch of guppies was not in the store when I was last there, that's why I got the yellow cobra. I have seen all the other fish pooping, but nothing from him which does not help put my mind at ease. I read that adding garlic infused food would help and I will try this tomorrow, but I doubt it is because he does not like the food, he is still trying (45 mins now) to get some mosquito large into his mouth.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Could you get a closer pic of the red things? Unfortunately it sounds like camallanus worms. Which would also explain why he won’t eat. I would get levamisole to treat it and treat the whole tank since all the fish are usually infected once you see the worms sticking out :(.

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Could you get a closer pic of the red things? Unfortunately it sounds like camallanus worms. Which would also explain why he won’t eat. I would get levamisole to treat it and treat the whole tank since all the fish are usually infected once you see the worms sticking out :(.
Thank you so much. I tried, but I cannot get a better pic, the guy swims too much and my camera cannot focus on the tiny things fast enough. I did however look it up and it almost definitely is camallanus worms. I did some research and found a product for the German market, . It only arrives Wednesday, hopefully my guppy survives until then, he still seems energetic. I wish I had a quarantine tank to separate him, but I have to treat the entire tank anyway directly and after a few weeks, so I guess it's okay. From what I read on the German Wikipedia site it says this product does not just paralyze the worms but also kills them and large.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ok, that’s good. I’m glad your getting treatment :). Hopefully he makes it till you can treat him. Make sure to also research about the after effects of camallanus worms. Even if the worms die sometimes they cause internal damage that can be fatal.

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Ok, that’s good. I’m glad your getting treatment :). Hopefully he makes it till you can treat him. Make sure to also research about the after effects of camallanus worms. Even if the worms die sometimes they cause internal damage that can be fatal.
Thanks for the information. I'll look it up. What I've read so far it is bad if they die and are not expelled from the system, I'll do some further research too.

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
This guppy is finally pooping a little :). This means he's managed to eat something, the tank has algae, etc. on the plant leaves that I guess he has managed to take in. It gives me a little more hope that he will survive until the medication arrives.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lobobrandon said:
This guppy is finally pooping a little :). This means he's managed to eat something, the tank has algae, etc. on the plant leaves that I guess he has managed to take in. It gives me a little more hope that he will survive until the medication arrives.
That’s great! A good way to tempt him to eat is to mix garlic in with his food :). I’m not sure how to do it but that might tempt your little guy enough that he’ll eat some more :)

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
That’s great! A good way to tempt him to eat is to mix garlic in with his food :). I’m not sure how to do it but that might tempt your little guy enough that he’ll eat some more :)
I kind of know what to do with the garlic infusion, I will give it a try tomorrow as I am home. I had to work the weekend, corona schedules haha. I was so sure I had some canned peas, unfortunately I don't, going to have to wait until Tuesday for stores to open to get some of those.

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
Going to be treating the tank tonight. I hope they all make it, the guppies, platys, mollies and corydoras. I have a guppy fry that came along with my first guppy pair and she is growing well. Still very small at just two weeks old living off infusoria mainly. I hope the medicine does not kill her because the leaflet does say it could be fatal to juveniles and fry of corys and live bearing fish. I did buy all the fish I wanted to before I add the medicine because this is the only store in the city that sells fish and I am sure they are all infected with something or camallanus since the same net is used on all live bearers. Did not want to have to do it all over again considering I want to get myself some shrimp when it is safe for them.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lobobrandon said:
Going to be treating the tank tonight. I hope they all make it, the guppies, platys, mollies and corydoras. I have a guppy fry that came along with my first guppy pair and she is growing well. Still very small at just two weeks old living off infusoria mainly. I hope the medicine does not kill her because the leaflet does say it could be fatal to juveniles and fry of corys and live bearing fish. I did buy all the fish I wanted to before I add the medicine because this is the only store in the city that sells fish and I am sure they are all infected with something or camallanus since the same net is used on all live bearers. Did not want to have to do it all over again considering I want to get myself some shrimp when it is safe for them.
Hopefully they all make it! I think you made a good call when you bought the fish. It would’ve been so frustrating to have to go through this again. If you haven’t already I would contact the store to let them know their fish have worms. That’s awesome that you found a guppy fry, hopefully the lil guy is tough and makes it past the meds.

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Hopefully they all make it! I think you made a good call when you bought the fish. It would’ve been so frustrating to have to go through this again. If you haven’t already I would contact the store to let them know their fish have worms. That’s awesome that you found a guppy fry, hopefully the lil guy is tough and makes it past the meds.
Yup, also the female is 3 weeks pregnant or so this Friday considering she got pregnant the day I got her and the males. This was another reason I wanted to do it today because I need to repeat after three weeks and I would be okay with losing some fry but don't want her to go through the medication when she is probably weaker/less active due to the pregnancy.

I should tell them. I wanted to when I went in yesterday to get the new fish but the usual guy was not there one of the other staff that minds the gardening section helped me out. I will hop by once again some day and if he is not there, I will leave a note.

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
Btw. I managed to get some good pics (blurry water due to tannins from the wood and stormy weather that makes the room dull). They do look like camallanus to me. Even if they are not, I will continue treating as the medicine is against all nematodes and some other worms.

20200604_150225.jpg20200604_150215.jpg20200604_150202.jpg20200604_150158.jpg

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
lobobrandon said:
Btw. I managed to get some good pics (blurry water due to tannins from the wood and stormy weather that makes the room dull). They do look like camallanus to me. Even if they are not, I will continue treating as the medicine is against all nematodes and some other worms.

20200604_150225.jpg20200604_150215.jpg20200604_150202.jpg20200604_150158.jpg
Yup, that’s camallanus:(. Sorry if I missed something but I believe you haven’t lost any fish yet? With that in mind, hopefully they aren’t infected enough that they’ll suffer much internal damage.

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Yup, that’s camallanus:(. Sorry if I missed something but I believe you haven’t lost any fish yet? With that in mind, hopefully they aren’t infected enough that they’ll suffer much internal damage.
You are right, I did not lose any other than the one that died and/or got eaten (bought together with this guy). I posted about that guy here if you are interested in seeing pics. I liked the colouring: Guppy Missing - Probably eaten? | 459656 | Guppy but I did not see any worms stick out of him, just odd behaviour the morning after I bought him. He seemed to eat fine the previous night too, unlike this guy in this thread.

Other than that no losses :) Also the guy in these pics here seems to be pooping so he may not be as badly damaged.

Thanks for the confirmation. In a way I am glad that it is camallanus because at least I know I am treating for the right thing and that I have the right medication :) Sad on the whole, but silver lining haha.

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
The camallanus worms were all killed within 48 hours of having the medication. Some dead worms (turned white) stuck out for a few days until they were dropped too. Fast forward two weeks, the guppy was happy and ate like a beast (compared to the other males), but he was mostly sticking to the surface the past week, the last three days he was swimming around again, but the last two he did not eat as much. I woke up today to find him missing. I presume he is no more and eaten.

Infections probably got to him. I even treated the tank with medicine that fights a lot of pathogens (mostly external) to help combat the fin rot (also one of the things the med helps against) just in case the damaged tail fin was the reason he was on the surface. Today was the 7th day of the medicine and I was to change the water.

It was not ammonia poisoning.

I kind of expected this the first day I saw him on the surface, because the other male (from the same tank at the LFS) I bought with him died the very next day after being on the surface a few hours. He probably also had camallanus worms. This guy survived almost a month.

This is just an update for whoever reads this in the future too.

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry to hear your guppy died, the worms probably caused too much internal damage for him to be healthy :(. I’m glad that you killed all the worms and some of your fish are still alive, tbh I usually associate camallanus worms with huge amounts of fish losses so I’m very happy that a lot of your fish survived it.

OP
lobobrandon

lobobrandon

Reaction score
jkkgron2 said:
Sorry to hear your guppy died, the worms probably caused too much internal damage for him to be healthy :(. I’m glad that you killed all the worms and some of your fish are still alive, tbh I usually associate camallanus worms with huge amounts of fish losses so I’m very happy that a lot of your fish survived it.
Thanks all the others are doing well. One female guppy is a little over a month pregnant so should give birth any day and I see two baby platy in the tank, possibly more hiding in the plants.

New Threads