Fin Rot Or Another Fish Nipping?

JesseMoreira06

rsz_20170627_213131.jpg I noticed today my black skirt tetra is missing some of its tail, I went away for two days and noticed this as soon as I got home. Is this fin rot or possibly another fish nipping at him?

I only have two black tetras which I know isn't good there schooling fish and need to be in groups of 6+ but long story short I took them from my cousin because I will be adding another 8 of them to my 75 gallon but went away this weekend so I was planning on doing it tmr.

parameters are all good , 0 ammonia 0 nitrITes and 10 nitrates.

rsz_120170627_211915.jpg

opinions?

Thanks in advance

Demeter

Looks like someone took a bite out of its tail, what other species of fish are in the tank?

tunafax

Maybe one of the loaches had a tasty fin for dinner, they do get nippy.

Maybe the cichlid - but I wouldn't know much about them.

It looks like it's infected, though. I would figure out a treatment plan.

Rachel K

A lot of the times it can be both, the fin nipping can cause stress and stress can lead to a reduced immune system and fin rot. Regardless of what it is, you should quarantine him and treat him as if he has fin rot.

It could be the other black skirt that nipped him though, tetras will often nip fins while establishing a social hierarchy and maybe since there are only two it puts social stress on them and one went a little overboard.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CLC9179
Replies
Views
Zka17
Replies
Views
Momgoose56
Replies
Views