Fin Rot on Betta

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Um-- I think my new betta might have fin rot. His tail is a little ragged. It doesn't look bad, but it si a little shredded. Any suggestions? I'll post a pic when I get home from work. He is my office fishy-- don't worry, he is in an aquarium with a heater and filter, not a bowl.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
You can try bumping up water changes. Extra clean water can really help him heal. If his tail doesn't start to heal, try some meds like Maracyn I and II together to help keep infection at bay. Is the tank cycled?

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
All of my levels are reading A-OK, so I assume it is cycled. The PH is a little high so I think that I am going to do a partial change today. I don't like to use PH chemicals. I am using BettaFix on him right now. How long until I see a change???

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hows your betta doing? any better yet? i have some fish with fin rot at the mo and the meds seem to have halted it from getting worse, but i'm not seeing signs of repair yet. stick with it! keep us updated...hope he's getting better
Tan

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, I got some new meds-- Ampicillin. He is supposed to eat it, but he wont, so I have to cover his Betta Pellets in it, and then he eats it. He is acting fine, so I don't think that he feels too awful bad. But in 2 more days the meds will be over-- and hopefully he will start to heal soon.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Genie said:
Well, I got some new meds-- Ampicillin.  He is supposed to eat it, but he wont, so I have to cover his Betta Pellets in it, and then he eats it.  He is acting fine, so I don't think that he feels too awful bad.  But in 2 more days the meds will be over-- and hopefully he will start to heal soon.
glad to hear he's on the mend. good luck. tan

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks-- we appreciate it.

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How is he doing today? Any change in his fins? worse, better, white regrowth? Hope he's showing visible signs of improvement already, that would be great.

genie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can't tell yet. I think he is going t be fine. I guess I just have to wait and see. He eats like a pig, and swims all around- so??

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Genie said:
I can't tell yet. I think he is going t be fine. I guess I just have to wait and see. He eats like a pig, and swims all around- so??
That's always a good thing. They're tough fighters and I think he's well on his way to restored fins & good health.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom