Fin rot on betta

1. amdpayne Member Member

I think Barbossa has beginning fin rot... pretty mild right now, but I want to fix it asap. Best suggestions? I heard on one website to do a 100% water change, keep temps 76-78F (could be remembering those #s wrong), and add aquarium salt, then keep changing the water and doing the salt treatment for about 7 days. They suggested 100% WCs like every day, though, and the idea of a 100% freaks me out a bit after being on here and people saying it'll get rid of BB, and will basically do more harm than good. :/ What is the best way to get Barbossa's fins healing asap?

I just read something else saying salt is a really bad idea. Ugh. Too many mixed messages.

2. claireputput Well Known Member Member

Hi and welcome, all my tanks (I have about 8 betta tanks) get a pinch of aquarium salt (not marine and not table salt) every other water change. I change 50% once a week and each tank also has an Indian Almond Leaf (IAL).
    It is a known fact that salt does keep fungus away from fish (saltwater fish rarely have fungus) and there are also bacterial and fungal benefits to the IAL.
    I have only had bettas for about a year but in that year, I had many issues with my betta. However, after I implemented the IAL and pinch of salt, I have not had any finrot or bacterial infections.
    This has worked for me and let me add that I don't like 100% changes-unless the tank is tiny. The good/beneficial bacteria does not concentrate in the water but in the filter and on ornaments. I am assuming your betta has a filter and that is where most of the "good" bacteria lives.
    My tanks are 5g tanks and so I change 2.5 gallons once a week-at this time none show any signs of fin rot but if they did, I would amp up the changes as clean water is really the best medicine!
    Good luck and treat it early! :)

3. FiscCyning Member Member

It's possible the site that recommended 100% water changes was talking about bettas in a bowl, where the lack of cycle/beneficial bacteria would make 100% the best option. If your tank is fully cycled, then I would instead recommend 50-75% water changes. I have not used salt for fin rot so I can't advise on that. The most important thing when dealing with fin rot is to have pristine water conditions, so the daily water changes are the most important thing right now. Depending on the severity of the fin rot you might medicate as well or just give the clean water for a few days to see if it works.

4. amdpayne Member Member

What kind of medicine should I use if I go down that path?

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

6. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

For finrot I'm a big fan of pristine water, Garlic Guard (or garlic juice) and Vita-Chem. Garlic Guard and Vita-Chem can be added directly to the tank, as well you can soak the fish food in it also.

100% water changes should not be necessary, but you really want to make sure your ammonia and nitrite levels are 0ppm and try to keep nitrates low.

7. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I agree with jdhef - don't medicate if you don't have to. If you've had the betta for awhile and he has been otherwise healthy, just give him what he needs to fight it himself. Garlic, VitaChem, I use all of these things regularly. As well as Kordon's Fish Protector in the water. And my other fish look great and heal quickly.

If, by some chance, this all fails as it did for me, I would probably just start with Paraguard. Mamajin is the one who introduced it to me as a good starting point for treating many diseases, I believe she also uses it in QT. Broad spectrum, supposedly cycle-safe and relatively gentle compared to some of the other meds out there. I'm not against salt either. I asked SeaChem awhile back about mixing salt and Paraguard as I remembered there was some salt in my tank when I started using it. While they don't recommend mixing, there aren't actually dangerous interactions though, if you do use both, they recommend it be done very, very gradually.

SeaChem did tell me one interesting thing about Paraguard - it's a reducing agent like Prime. So care should be taken not to overdose when using them together (or with any other reducing agent like Amquel Plus. I can dig up the e-mail I got from them about it if anyone is interested :)

Be patient with it. It does take time. But to be really honest, I'm losing my battle with fin rot and, as such, don't know that I'm the best person to advise on treatment. I think it's pretty extraordinary circumstances though, I haven't read any stories of people having issues with fin rot quite like what I'm experiencing, and I think you will probably be okay to amp up his diet, pick up the WCs and maybe add a little salt.

Good luck!

8. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

We should also rule out water conditions.
    Can you post the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
    Without proper conditions the fins won't heal.

9. amdpayne Member Member

Ok, did a 50% wc and added just under 1 tbsp aquarium salt (box suggested 1 rounded tbsp per 5 gal, and it's a 10 gal tank. I wasn't sure how it would react and how Barbossa would react to it, so I only did that small amt. I also have some Triple Sulfa if I think he's not healing w WCs and salt alone. He eats and is active otherwise. I really love this little guy and want to see him heal!! However I did see him go up and investigate it before it dissolved... His fins touched it. Is that ok? I read somewhere it can burn them chemically. :/ Maybe I should dissolve it in the fresh water to be added before I pour it into the tank next time?

In other news, I've spotted him a few times on his hammock. Hehe. :)

10. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Hi amdpayne - It's a really good idea to fully dissolve aquarium salt in a bit of tank or fresh, dechlorinated water then slowly mix it in. Salt rocks shouldn't be added directly to an aquarium with fish in it. Keep a watch on the fins.

Bettas and their hammocks - mine just swims over his. won't rest on it anymore since I added floating plants :)

11. amdpayne Member Member

Whoops; didn't know this before!! :( Will keep an eye on it.

Ahh, silly fish. :) Floating plants must be a nice treat for him!

12. amdpayne Member Member

Barbossa seemed to be getting better, but since I had to be away for a few days recently, his caudal fin (is that the very back one? The 'tail'?) seems a little worse. Should I keep going with every other day WCs? Or every day? Or should I begin to medicate..?

What does Vita-Chem do for the fish? I know Garlic Guard makes the food more appealing, but he eats just fine without it. Does it do something for him otherwise?

13. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Vita Chem is a vitamin for fish, so it will help him heal quicker.

Garlic Guard besides being an appitite stimulant, helps fight infections.

And yes, keep up the water changes. Daily would be twice as good as every other day

14. amdpayne Member Member

Ok, will look into both of those. :) And will amp up the WCs. Thank you!!