10 gallons
How long has the tank been running?
1 years
Does it have a filter?
Just a Bubble Filter
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
1 Betta fish
4 Otocinclus fish
2 Assassin Snails
A baby small random snails
1 African dwarf frog
2 pygmy Cory catfish

Maintenance
How often do you change the water?
Once a every two weeks
How much of the water do you change?
About 20%
What do you use to treat your water?
Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Both

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API Freshwater Masterkit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia:0 ppm
Nitrite:0 ppm
Nitrate:5 ppm
pH:7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish?
Every other day
How much do you feed your fish?
two finger pinches
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Fluval bug bites tropical bug bites
Do you feed frozen?
Once a week
Do you feed freeze-dried foods?
No

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish?
About 1 year
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Couple days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
I noticed his fins has some small holes in them. Also his tail seems to have splits in it.
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
None
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
None
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
No change in behavior, just hole in his fins.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
I have a betta fish that I am not sure if it's fin rot or not, but he seems to have holes in his fins and splits in his tail fin. I have him for about a year. He still eats and swims normally. I've attached some pictures below any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 4

bcfishtanks

He's a beautiful boy. My first impression is that he ripped his tail on something. Is he curious? My betta likes to wriggle through holes in my driftwood, but I couldn't sand them down all the way, so he gets rips. They don't bother him, and they always heal with good water conditions.

However, can you post pics of him before he got the rips? This will help to determine whether or not he has fin rot (which can come secondary to rips if he's stress or if the water quality is not sound).

srut2000

Sure this is a picture when I first got him. He is very curious. It could be the driftwood because none of my other fish are having any problems.

Attachments

• JPEG image.jpeg
    JPEG image.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1
  • JPEG image 3.jpeg
    JPEG image 3.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 1
  • JPEG image 2.jpeg
    JPEG image 2.jpeg
    176.5 KB · Views: 1

bcfishtanks

Yeah, they look like clean rips, not jagged like if it was fin rot or tail biting (which would be impressive on this type of betta). I'm also not seeing any discoloration. Just keep the water clean, keep tannins in there, and keep him low stress. He should heal in a few weeks.

srut2000

Yeah, they look like clean rips, not jagged like if it was fin rot or tail biting (which would be impressive on this type of betta). I'm also not seeing any discoloration. Just keep the water clean, keep tannins in there, and keep him low stress. He should heal in a few weeks.
Alrighty here is a better picture I got of his fin. I have a feeling it maybe fin rot too. What do you think I’ve attached the picture below.

Attachments

• F79C7D35-97FE-4DCA-959E-350B93273E80.jpeg
    F79C7D35-97FE-4DCA-959E-350B93273E80.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 6

bcfishtanks

Those definitely look like tears, but that one tear is pretty close to his body, which would cause issues if the tears get infected. I'd consider doing a few salt dips with him over the next couple of days, which will kill off pretty much any bacteria. If you put him in QT (with adequate coverage, clean water, tannins, etc.), you could add salt straight to the tank and let him bathe in it for a few weeks. This has always helped my betta immensely. If you decide to go this route, just do good research on using salt with bettas. You don't want to harm instead of help by accident.

Again, low stress, clean water, and tannins are really the best medicine over all. I just don't want it to get worse while you're waiting for him to heal.

srut2000

Those definitely look like tears, but that one tear is pretty close to his body, which would cause issues if the tears get infected. I'd consider doing a few salt dips with him over the next couple of days, which will kill off pretty much any bacteria. If you put him in QT (with adequate coverage, clean water, tannins, etc.), you could add salt straight to the tank and let him bathe in it for a few weeks. This has always helped my betta immensely. If you decide to go this route, just do good research on using salt with bettas. You don't want to harm instead of help by accident.

Again, low stress, clean water, and tannins are really the best medicine over all. I just don't want it to get worse while you're waiting for him to heal.
Is there any medications you could recommend me to try? That would help with his treatment.

bcfishtanks

I typically prefer not using meds as often as possible with bettas. They can damage their labyrinth organ and do more harm than good. Bettas can be pretty hardy in good water quality and low stress environments (and don't have any genetic issues that can sometimes come with bettas from bad breeding). That being said, they can usually handle the healing process as along as they're in good spirits. It's more important to take take to allow them to heal than to try to speed it up with meds that could further hurt your betta.

srut2000

Alrighty thank you so much for all the help!

Manjit

Is there any medications you could recommend me to try? That would help with his treatment.
I would soak his food in garlic juice and feed him(once a week)...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Faytaya
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
srut2000
Replies
Views