Fin Rot, Now What?

ch0507449

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So unfortunately I didn't know about the nitrogen cycle when I bought my fish and his tank so I had to do a fish in cycle and he has developed fin rot. At first I thought it was just a small fin tear but it is slowly creeped on to his other fins.

The tank is fully cycled now but I need to know what to continue doing to help his fin rot. While cycling his tank every other water change I would try and put a little bit of aquarium salt in the water should I continue putting salt in the water or just let it try and cure itself? I've also reduced his meals to every other day, once a day, And much smaller amounts.

Last edited:

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most of the time fin rot can be helped (stopped or even cured) by keeping their water as clean as possible even if that means water changes every day. I would stop adding salt since you say it doesn't seem to be helping.

With a 5 gallon tank I would be changing out at least 2 1/2 gallons with each water change and would be doing it at the very least, every other day until he is healthy.

I am sure you already do it but be sure to use a dechlorinator with each water change. Most of us recommend Seachem Prime but there are others that do basically the same thing.

I would go ahead and feed him a small amount every day. I don't think it is a good idea to withhold food from him. He needs the food to keep his energy up to help fight this problem JMHO

Last edited:

ch0507449

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Most of the time fin rot can be helped (stopped or even cured) by keeping their water as clean as possible even if that means water changes every day. I would stop adding salt since you say it doesn't seem to be helping.

With a 5 gallon tank I would be changing out at least 2 1/2 gallons with each water change and would be doing it at the very least, every other day until he is healthy.

I am sure you already do it but be sure to use a dechlorinator with each water change. Most of us recommend Seachem Prime but there are others that do basically the same thing.

I would go ahead and feed him a small amount every day. I don't think it is a good idea to withhold food from him. He needs the food to keep his energy up to help fight this problem JMHO
So start with a 50% water change every other day and feed him once daily?

Edit: I do have prime and have fallen in love with it LOL

GuppyDazzle

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd also recommend not adding salt with every water change unless you have a salinity meter to control the levels. Salt can be a tonic, but there's something else going on. Salt won't do anything other than treat the symptoms.

ch0507449

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Right. that is what I would do. You also want to keep his temp at least 79 degrees
Yeah his heater usually keeps it a little under 80 or around there.

I'd also recommend not adding salt with every water change unless you have a salinity meter to control the levels. Salt can be a tonic, but there's something else going on. Salt won't do anything other than treat the symptoms.
Alrighty ill stop using the salt.

I would even do daily water changes while cycling, since he's having fin issues.
His tank is done cycling(thank god). It's the whole reason he's in his condition unfortunately and i feel terrible about it.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom