Fin rot not getting better?

GracieGoodman6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My betta has had fin rot for about a month, the first 10-14 days i was treating him with aquarium salts and doing a 100% water change every other day. After I stopped with the salts I was just changing his water every other day. Ive been trying to keep his water around 75-80ish but since I dont have a functioning heater and hes in a .5 gallon bowl temporarily. Even when I was treating him with salts I never saw any growth in his fins and they have been slowly getting worse. Any advice to help his fins heal?

BellatheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
What are your parameters? Maybe once you have a bigger aptank and heater, keep heater at 79/80 to kill off any bacteria on him and get a purpose medication for him and dose that accordingly.

GracieGoodman6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I dont have a testing kit yet (its on my wish list) Ive been trying to keep my room as warm as possible while keeping the rest of the house comfortable, Ive been covering up the air vent while Im away. I might get a heat mat and set it either next to it or set the bowl on top of it and put it at its lowest temperature and monitor it closely. Do you know of any good medication I could dose him with, still a little bit of a fish noob lol!

Bettatude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can you post a picture?

GracieGoodman6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Bettatude said:
Can you post a picture?
When I first noticed the fin rot it was only a small portion in the middle of his caudal fin and pin hole rot in his analfin, it has since then gotten much worse

Bettatude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
His small living conditions are likely causing him stress. Why is he only in a half a gallon? Can you get him at least a 3 gallon with a heater? With a half a gallon you should be doing 100% water changes daily.

GracieGoodman6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He was in a 5 gallon when i first got him, but i put him in the .5 so it would be easier to treat him and change his water. Ive been doing 100% water change every other day and using Sera Aquarium aquatan water conditioner. For the moment Im going to be using a heat pad to keep his tank warm until I get him a planted 10 gal.

Bettatude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Ok, so this is temporary. With the medication I would suggest you couldn't dose safely for a half of gallon.

GracieGoodman6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
On the package it says 1/2 a teaspoon for every gallon so id been using 1/4 of a teaspoon, maybe a little under just for precaution.

queerboy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
GracieGoodman6 said:
On the package it says 1/2 a teaspoon for every gallon so id been using 1/4 of a teaspoon, maybe a little under just for precaution.
He may actually do better in the 5 gallon. It'd reduce stress and keep him at a cozy temp, and water changes of 50% daily (especially if the tank isn't cycled) should be sufficient. And you can add a teaspoon per gallon of aquarium salt, I use 2 tablespoons for my 5 gal.

Also, some of that could be tail biting from boredom or stress. Are his decorations soft (live or silk (faux silk/fabric type is good too))? Does he have plenty of hides and plants to play in? Is the current too fast?

GracieGoodman6

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I could put him back in the 5 gallon and do the water changes. I dont have a filter either (I know its terrible!). It might be from tail biting because I check on him every night before I go to bed and give him a good look and when i wake up in the morning it looks as if a chuck of his tail has disappeared over night. Although I never see anything at the bottom of his bowl. I have a large silk plant I stuck upside down in his bowl that takes up about 2/3 of it.

deanfinchester

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
its probably from poor water conditions, in a 1/2 gallon you would need 100% daily water changes at least & preferably 2 daily changes, waste build up super quickly in a tank that small. Do you have a test kit for water parameters? If not i would suggest one, do not get the test strips though get the liquid ones, API freshwater master test kit is a good one. Also do you have a heater in the 5 gallon? bettas need temps of 78-82° of their immune system is suppressed. I would also highly suggest a filter for your betta so you can cycle the 5 gallon. Without a filter you will have to do DAILY yes DAILY 50% water changes to keep the ammonia in check, would also suggest using seachem prime as a water conditioner too. If you get a filter & cycleit you only have to do 1 25-30% water change once a week

queerboy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
GracieGoodman6 said:
I could put him back in the 5 gallon and do the water changes. I dont have a filter either (I know its terrible!). It might be from tail biting because I check on him every night before I go to bed and give him a good look and when i wake up in the morning it looks as if a chuck of his tail has disappeared over night. Although I never see anything at the bottom of his bowl. I have a large silk plant I stuck upside down in his bowl that takes up about 2/3 of it.
I would really suggest a filter. It may have been a combination of water parameters and tail biting that caused the rot to start. Whisper 10i is 15$ on amazon, and REALLY easy to baffle the flow on with a water bottle DIY. Otherwise people recommend sponge filters, but you'd need an air pump. A test kit would also be beneficial. Do you have a heater? Aqueon pro is top of the line there, and also cheap on amazon!

deanfinchester

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
another nice filter for betta is an aqueon quietflow 10i mini, they have a low flow setting & it is under the water so almost no sound. I use them & also just took the cartridges out & added my own media. also another good heater brand is hydor, i have the 25w adjustable in all my tanks, $15 on amazon

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom