Fin Rot, Nipping, Or Tearing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molli

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Male Betta in a fluval spec 5 that has been established for 1 month. Its him, live plants, drift wood, and a rock. I noticed one year in his dorsal fin yesterday afternoon and two more this morning. I do 15-20% water changes twice a week, the temperature stays at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. He is eating and acting normal, there is no discoloration in his fins. Below are pictures of the tears and his tank. I just need to know if how I should proceed from here. Any help is appreciated!
20180719_081555.jpg
20180719_081545.jpg

Attachments

OP
Molli

Molli

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Did you sand down the driftwood? Are the rocks sharp? Run a pantyhose along all the decorations, and if it catches then it's too sharp for your betta's fins.
No I didn't sand it down, and yes, there are sharp parts on the rock. He has been in the tank for about 3 weeks. Would he all of a sudden start catching on things like that? I have seen him laying on the drift wood plenty of times but this is the first time I have seen any tears and I see him every week day.

penguin02

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
With fin rot, the edges of the fins will usually be black, so I doubt it's that. Have you seen him biting his tail? If not, I would put my money on the decorations

OP
Molli

Molli

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
With fin rot, the edges of the fins will usually be black, so I doubt it's that. Have you seen him biting his tail? If not, I would put my money on the decorations
No I have not seen him biting and I don't see anything that looks like bites anywhere on his fins. Could it be him blowing out? He flares daily (I ordered a background and added plants to reduce the mirror effect) and he flares/stretches his fins out pretty often.

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It does look like a tear and it does also look like a blowout. Remove or sand down the sharp parts on the rock. Just keep doing what you're doing and keep the water clean to prevent fin rot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom