Fin Rot more than likely?

Qzar61

I just notice this about 2 days ago and it seems to be getting worse. It seems to me it has to be fin rot. My water is great and she is the diva of the tank and always happy. I did a 40 percent water change today which is big for my 20 long. Now she is acting a little goofy darting around. Honestly I think it was over feeding since she hangs up top like betta do. Can this be reversed by cutting back food or does she need meds, I don't have a hospital tank.

AlphaFish

Your hospital tank does not have to be a tank. It can be a tub, as long as it's got a filter (and a heater, depending on the weather). You need to isolate her because other fish can get fin rot too.
Clean water and lowered stress usually does the trick. If you don't see any improvements in the fish's health (e.g. it's tail mending) after a few days then you should try meds. A basic anti-fungus/ anti- bacterial infections works well.

devsi

You need to isolate her because other fish can get fin rot too.
Completely agree with this. If you can, isolating her is a good idea.
If you don't see any improvements in the fish's health (e.g. it's tail mending) after a few days then you should try meds. A basic anti-fungus/ anti- bacterial infections works well.
Ensuring your water conditions are optimal is definitely the first step, but I wouldn't jump into medicating if that doesn't help.

You can try salt baths, as a more "natural" step before medicating and then, if it doesn't improve still, look into medicating.

Rose of Sharon

What fish do you have in your tank? Just curious....

Qzar61

What fish do you have in your tank? Just curious....
3 black skirt tetras 3 albino Buenos Aires tetras 2 dwarf corys and a week ago 4 tiny pygmy salt and pepper corys and of course my female betta. The plan was to rehome the albinos and add 3 more black skirts to keep them happier
I just notice this about 2 days ago and it seems to be getting worse. It seems to me it has to be fin rot. My water is great and she is the diva of the tank and always happy. I did a 40 percent water change today which is big for my 20 long. Now she is acting a little goofy darting around. Honestly I think it was over feeding since she hangs up top like betta do. Can this be reversed by cutting back food or does she need meds, I don't have a hospital tank.
Good feed back folks. Getting a back up filter and heater is a good idea and 3 gallon bucket for isolation. I was worried that my new salt and peppers weren't getting enough food so I could have been over feeding.

Rose of Sharon

I have read that the black skirts and BA tetras are known to be fin nippers. I wonder if your betta is being bullied by either or both groups, and that is why her fins look like they do....

Have you noticed any aggression on their part?

Qzar61

I have read that the black skirts and BA tetras are known to be fin nippers. I wonder if your betta is being bullied by either or both groups, and that is why her fins look like they do....

Have you noticed any aggression on their part?
Interesting you asked. My tank was set up around Memorial Day Originally there were 2 green barbs, one didn't make it, but for over three months the barb chased. Finally I rehomed the barb and that's when I got the betta. The tetras reacted strangely to the sudden peace in the tank. Even though I need to fix my tetra ratio (I plan to bring the black skirts to 6). My local store called the albinos jerks when I mentioned them lol. Anyway there is no aggression that I can tell. They all seem to love the betta. The only stress I see in my tank is when I turn the light on and sometimes the tetras freak a minute or two.

Rose of Sharon

Ok, sounds good! I know that bettas can bully like crazy, but that they can also be the target of agression by other fish. Just looking at where the problem areas are, I thought that she might be chased from behind, or attacked from below if any other fish was being aggressive towards her.

Hope she gets better soon!!!! :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CheshireKat
Replies
Views
Prest12
Replies
Views
PrincessBettafish
  • Question