Fin Rot! Medication Advice! Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by jaymethy, Apr 17, 2018.

1. j

jaymethy Valued Member Member

Hey guys, I just noticed there is some white fluff on one of my (brand new) fish's fins.... He's been quarantined, but I want to get a jump start on protecting the rest of my tank (especially because most my fish are new, bought within the past week).

I have an old bottle of pimafix that is expired. Is there any harm in using this? I will buy a new bottle in about 5-6 hours when I have access to a car, I just really want to get a jump start on preventing a problem in my tank.

I've also heard that you cannot have activated carbon in a filter when using pimafix. Is this true? I'm hoping to avoid swapping out my filter media, as my tank just finished a minicycle.... (like so recently that I'm still dosing stability to make sure it doesn't crash).
    If I do need to swap out the filter media, can I put the filter with carbon just in the tank (not in the filter) to maintain that bacteria colony so I can put it back in the filter when the medicating is done?

Or any suggestions on medication that might work better than pimafix?

I should also note that I have a few red cherry shrimp. So only suggestions that are safe for them please!

2. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

That’s not fin rot that’s cotton fin disease it’s a fungal infection so you’ll need fungal medicine and also salt helps as well

3. OP
    OP
    j

Ok, thanks. Pimafix is a fungal medication correct?
    And unfortunately I have shrimp and corydas catfish, so salt is a no-no, right?

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Salt is a no-no for those guys. What kind of fish? Pimafix absolutely cannot be used on labryinth fish such as gourami or bettas. Also, it's a very weak medication, I'd use something stronger. Although pimafix is shrimp safe... if you think you have time, you could try that first, but if it turns out to be aggressive, wasted time could be a downfall
    As for the filter media, just cut out the carbon and replace it, it's what I do for my tanks

5. OP
    OP
    j

I've got 2 panda cory catfish, 3 red cherry shrimp, 7 ember tetras and 3 guppies.
    Do you have a suggestion for something stronger? I definitely don't want to waste any time.

What do you think about me keeping the old filter media in the tank, as to not ruin my cycle?

6. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I don't have as much experience with fungal infections so unfortunately I don't feel comfortable enough to give you a suggestion. If you use something copper based, it will be harmful to the shrimp and may remain in the tank for a lot longer than the actual medication. I'll do some digging and try to get back to you on that regard
    As far as the media, if it's the fiber cartridges with carbon in them, you can cut a slit and grab the carbon out. You can put the media on the bottom of the tank, like on the gravel and it'll keep the BB alive, but maybe not quite as effective. I've done this once before, and it went well, and it was funny because my shrimp we're always on it and picking at it

7. BobNJerry

BobNJerry Valued Member Member

how new is your fish? if you are within the return time frame then return it- it will save you a lot of headaches.

8. OP
    OP
    j

I got him yesterday. I'm thinking I'm going to bring him back tonight, and swap him in.

9. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Alot of times fish get bacterial infections from the stress of shipping to petstore then to you. Return it or count your loss. Primafix probably wont work.

10. OP
    OP
    j

I brought him back, and they gave me a new one.
    I bought some seachem medication (can't remember what its called), and am running one dose in my tank just in case.

11. Whitewolf

Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

Kanamycin?
    Dont shotgun antbiotics, give it at least 5 days

12. OP
    OP
    j

Maybe thats the one....
    I've already done it, but I'll take that into account for next time :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice