Help Fin Rot? Is He Tearing It? Help

captainlextra

Reaction score
So I was enjoying my betta, and I noticed that something seems off about his tail. Am I paranoid? Yes, but I also don't think it was there before
Here are some pictures
You'll notice that towards the bottom there's an extra tip of white flowy fin but towards the top it's not there and it kind of looks tattered. Here's a picture from a few days ago
Did he bite his tail? I haven't seen him biting it. I have melafix but I don't know if I should use it. I'm taking the water parameters right now.
Edit: parameters are the second reply but they seem fine so should I still do water changes? It might be stress, my cat likes to bat at him from the glass(I always stop her, but I dunno. Maybe I should take extra measures to keep her out of my room.)

Last edited:

akcarroll12

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry I can’t see the pics for some reason. If he has shredding of any kind, daily water changes 25% for a few weeks should clear it up. Don’t use meds unless after a few weeks the water changes aren’t working. Good luck!

captainlextra

Reaction score
Sorry I can’t see the pics for some reason. If he has shredding of any kind, daily water changes 25% for a few weeks should clear it up. Don’t use meds unless after a few weeks the water changes aren’t working. Good luck!
Thanks, I will start the water changes tonight if I determine that I need to. Here are the parameters:
pH is 7.6, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate looks around 1 ppm but it's hard to tell. I have discussed in a previous thread that it's not fully cycled but that's fine in a 10g with just a betta and no future fish plans.

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
He is beautiful. He is also very heavily finned. Fins wear. I know my boys with such fins go thru cycles of wear, grow, wear, grow. Do the frequent water changes. I do it twice a week during their wear period. That ship is a really cool ornament but I do see a chance of snagging on it. Your boys ventral fin looks like it could have gotten snagged.

captainlextra

Reaction score
He is beautiful. He is also very heavily finned. Fins wear. I know my boys with such fins go thru cycles of wear, grow, wear, grow. Do the frequent water changes. I do it twice a week during their wear period. That ship is a really cool ornament but I do see a chance of snagging on it. Your boys ventral fin looks like it could have gotten snagged.
Thank you, should I remove the pirate ship? And does doing 25% water changes every other day this week seem okay?

KimberlyG

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you, should I remove the pirate ship? And does doing 25% water changes every other day this week seem okay?
That would be good. You will be looking for clear new growth on the ends. As I said before, it's a constant fight with these guys. Breeders keep them in those small cups for a reasons. They can move around that much. They love to explore and move thru the tank and that simple act will wear on their fins. Protein like frozen blood worms a couple times a week help as well. I've only had a couple of occasions where I had to salt my tank. I don't see the need for your betta.

captainlextra

Reaction score
That would be good. You will be looking for clear new growth on the ends. As I said before, it's a constant fight with these guys. Breeders keep them in those small cups for a reasons. They can move around that much. They love to explore and move thru the tank and that simple act will wear on their fins. Protein like frozen blood worms a couple times a week help as well. I've only had a couple of occasions where I had to salt my tank. I don't see the need for your betta.
Thank you so much for your help. I will do 25% water changes every other day for the next 1-2 weeks and if no signs of improvement show I will call out for help again, but he is a very very active fish always swimming back and forth and exploring so it likely is just wear. I'm going to opt to keep the pirate ship in, mostly because he really doesn't interact with it other than going in and out of it to sleep, and i searched it extensively and it seems extremely improbable that he did get caught on the ship. Again, thank you so much for the help. I'll update you guys when I see him getting better.

Peter M

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks, I will start the water changes tonight if I determine that I need to. Here are the parameters:
pH is 7.6, ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, nitrate looks around 1 ppm but it's hard to tell. I have discussed in a previous thread that it's not fully cycled but that's fine in a 10g with just a betta and no future fish plans.
Those parameters do look like your tank is fully cycled just an fyi

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom