Fin rot is back

Allie
??? He was pretty much healed up again. Yesterday woke up to shredded fins again. He seems fine health wise...so why does he keep getting fin rot? This is really starting to make me cranky. I really don't want to lose him...I am sick of losing my male fishies. >

COBettaCouple
fin rot can be pretty stubborn.. aslan had a very stubborn case that went on from march until september, with us thinking we'd beat it more than once. What finally cleared it out was a 10-day course of Triple Sulfa, Rid-Fungus and daily full doses of VitaChem with a big water change before, at the 5-day point and after.

Allie
fin rot can be pretty stubborn.. aslan had a very stubborn case that went on from march until september, with us thinking we'd beat it more than once. What finally cleared it out was a 10-day course of Triple Sulfa, Rid-Fungus and daily full doses of VitaChem with a big water change before, at the 5-day point and after.
Ugggg!! Water changes is when I noticed the most changes with his fins getting better. I guess I have to back to the drawing board. If I go thru all of this and he dies. Grrr! Hopefully it'll work for Jasper.

ricktavious
Sorry to hear Everytime you think it's gone, it just comes back again. Fish keeping would be so much easire if fin rot did not exist Good luck getting your guy all patched up.

COBettaCouple
I hope it works for Jasper too. The reason I tried that with Aslan was that I read about fin rot being bacterial, fungal or both in origin so I figured since he kept getting it that we should try attacking both causes.

Allie
I hope it works for Jasper too. The reason I tried that with Aslan was that I read about fin rot being bacterial, fungal or both in origin so I figured since he kept getting it that we should try attacking both causes.
I will try anything at this point. So frustrating. I think I am sticking with female betta from now on.

Barbrella
Sorry you're dealing with this. I hope your guy gets better once and for all!

I'm thinking of females only too, or male plakats. The long fins on the other poor guys seem to always be shredded or rotting.

COBettaCouple
It is frustrating, but we've had 5 male Betta Splendens - our first 2 got fin rot, the other 3 haven't. I really think that a major part of that is the fact that we switched from gravel to flat glass marbles for our tanks substrata before we got our 3rd male. Since we lost our 1st Betta to Dropsy, Aslan is our only current Betta that ever had a gravel substrata and the only one we've had to treat for fin rot. Our 1st Betta had fin rot as well.

We also started participating in Fishlore after we lost our 1st Betta and very soon got rid of any decor that could tear their fins. But I think the substrata is the biggest cause of fin tears with the way the Bettas love to cruise along the bottom dragging those long fins.

lili70
After trying them all I found that strong meds are (just my personal opinion) : Maracyn plus and Furanase. But I would recommend caution in using it for other fishes. Bettas can take this kind of meds because they are big and strong. triple Sulfa is good if it works but it didn't in my betta's fin rot.
Furanase will wipe out biofilter more than Tetrecycline does. The maracyn plus is biofilter friendly. Still if it's a bad case of fin rot or reccurent I would give it a try with Furanase first.
L
PS: if it's not a big shred in tail you might see it glued back overnight with Maracyn plus (believe it or not).

Warning: I am NOT a fish expert.

Allie
After trying them all I found that strong meds are (just my personal opinion) : Maracyn plus and Furanase. But I would recommend caution in using it for other fishes. Bettas can take this kind of meds because they are big and strong. triple Sulfa is good if it works but it didn't in my betta's fin rot.
Furanase will wipe out biofilter more than Tetrecycline does. The maracyn plus is biofilter friendly. Still if it's a bad case of fin rot or reccurent I would give it a try with Furanase first.
L
PS: if it's not a big shred in tail you might see it glued back overnight with Maracyn plus (believe it or not).

Warning: I am NOT a fish expert.
It's all his fins...it looks great for awhile then they look stringy then chunks fall off. I have used Furanase already...I will try Maracyn Plus or anything at this point.

It is frustrating, but we've had 5 male Betta Splendens - our first 2 got fin rot, the other 3 haven't. I really think that a major part of that is the fact that we switched from gravel to flat glass marbles for our tanks substrata before we got our 3rd male. Since we lost our 1st Betta to Dropsy, Aslan is our only current Betta that ever had a gravel substrata and the only one we've had to treat for fin rot. Our 1st Betta had fin rot as well.

We also started participating in Fishlore after we lost our 1st Betta and very soon got rid of any decor that could tear their fins. But I think the substrata is the biggest cause of fin tears with the way the Bettas love to cruise along the bottom dragging those long fins.
There is nothing he could tear his fins on in his tank now. I realize the last fin rot attack that his car had a jagged part on it so I removed it. I am tearing the whole tank apart today and giving it another disinfecting. Maybe his tank is infected with something.
This is my 5th male too and he has been battling fin rot since I brought him home. My first betta had ich issues, the same with 2nd who died from ich, 3rd bloat, fourth just died after eating wc minnows.

I am also thinking that all 5 betta came from the same pet shop, so no more betta from that shop anymore. IF I ever get another Betta I am ordering it.

LuvaBetta
we switched from gravel to flat glass marbles for our tanks substrata

Will the flat glass marbles be as hospitable to the good bacteria as the gravel is?

COBettaCouple
Aslan hasn't had anything in his tank that could tear his fins since we lost Mario back in March, but he kept having finrot come back until September. Once they get the finrot, it seems harder to permanently get rid of. At first we tried anti-fungal treatments with some mild success, then we went to antibiotics with better success but it kept coming back. That's part of what let me to try the Triple Sulfa/Rid-Fungus/VitaChem/Fish Protector combo treatment. (The last 2 simply being vitamins really.) I didn't know if it would work really, but I figured it was worth a shot to attack the finrot every way that I could.

There is nothing he could tear his fins on in his tank now. I realize the last fin rot attack that his car had a jagged part on it so I removed it. I am tearing the whole tank apart today and giving it another disinfecting. Maybe his tank is infected with something.

Honestly, I'm not sure but we've had fully cycled tanks for almost as long as we've used the marbles and also successfully "seeded" new tanks with marbles from establish tanks.

Will the flat glass marbles be as hospitable to the good bacteria as the gravel is?

lili70
I tried and no succes:
- Maracyn+Maracyn 2 (it worked for 6 months than stoped reacting)
- triple Sulfa (repeatedly)
- AntI fungus
- Jungle antibacterial
- Metronoidazole (in food no big reaction but some)
- Maracyn TC (improved the overall condition of the fish but not the rot)
- ParaGurad baths
- BettaFix
- Salt
- Vitachem
- Maroxy

So I've tried antibacterial, antifungus, antI - internal parasites. Also combinations of the above.
I am surprised that the fish kidneys are still working but remember that it's a very big betta : long almost 8 cm and as thick as my tumb. I never saw a betta as big as mine for real. I just upgraded his fish tank to 10 G, Christmas present. To move him I put him in a jar like the one I bought him in and I left in on the table. He almost fliped the jar when he started struggling ....

Warning: I am not a fish expert.

L

Allie
Well guys he has growth again, with just daily water changes. I hate to medicate so much when simple water changes with some fish protector helps.

COBettaCouple
Fish Protector is wonderful stuff. I'd recommend that and VitaChem to anyone with fish, especially Bettas.

Well guys he has growth again, with just daily water changes. I hate to medicate so much when simple water changes with some fish protector helps.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fanatic
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views
Parsely
Replies