Fin Rot in a few hours ???

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Hi. I started another post today regarding cycling the aquarium water. I did a 50% treated water change, Neptune is all happy. Nitrates and Nitrites are 0ppm, Ammonia was recording between.5-1.0 ( the lowestrecord on the card I have). everything was fine

I just went to feed Neptune, and I notice his tail has some tiny shreds on the ends. I checked the posting by Lisa with photos, and it looks like that. Now how can that happen in 4 hours???? Nothing has changed other than the water. I did just do a PH test, it is 7.6....when it registered that before, someone on this site said it would be ok, better to let the fish adjust than to keep trying to bring PG higher or lower.

Darn, I am always in a state of panic with this little fish. Should I wait to see if it increased, do I medicate, (if so how)leave it, or what. obviously tank has not cycled, is just beginning.

What a pain I am being, but thanks for any advise/help. Val

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In an uncycled tank, fish can develop fin rot in minutes. The best course of treatment at this point is to get some Maracyn2 and start to medicate him as soon as possible. It does not go away on its own in an uncycled tank. Do I understand that you are going to be gone for the weekend?

If you are going to be gone for the weekend the proper medication should be Jungle Labs Fungus Clear Buddies as they stay in the tank for 4 days. If you do a good water change and then medicate with 1 tablet for each 10 gallons of water (half a tablet for 5 gallons) all you do is drop it in the tank as they are fizzy. Then if he is able to get through without a water change you are set for the weekend. It gets so complicated with not being cycled and it is too late for the Bio-spira as you cannot medicate them and use it.

I hope this has helped a little. Please do keep us informed of his progress.

Rose

cherryrose

Well Known
Reaction score
Wow! I didn't realize that fin rot could happen so fast. I sure hope that the fin-rot clears up quickly for you as well as for Neptune's sake. My betta's. Barney, Belle, Benji, Bambi, and I are sending healing wishes your way.

CherryRose

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks Rose;

That is totally unbelievable that something can happen this fast? :'( And I think I was just getting a handle on the cycling thing? Now what would cause that, do you have any idea to share? The water is crystal clear and had test measurements as shown poreviously. Only one fish, no real live plants, temp is 80 degrees. I am truly stunned!

I will do a water change again in the morning, is one a day enough? Then I will buy the Marcyn? There is Marcyn & Marcyn 2 and Marcyn plus. Is that correct. Do I need more than one. The only place I have to buy here is Walmart, I have seen some medications there, but can't remember what. Is there any other brand name that is okay to try? If Walmart doesn't have it, I will get what they have and post it prior to use to see what everyone thinks. If I have to order from S&F I won't get it until Monday!

I also believe I have read that if I medicate, I should remove the filter cartridge? What about the Bio Wheel?

I am going to try to get out of my weekend, ( a family thing) : they all think I am crazy with my fish anyway so nothing to lose.

I must say it is easier to take the cats to the vet!

Man, I am so sad to be already dealing with this kind of thing - reading the other posts there are a lot of us dealing with something or other. Nice to have the support.

Many thanks again, Val

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
HI Val,

Some sources I've seen make a distinction between torn fins (the result of injury) and fin rot (possibly resulting from post-injury complications, stress, poor water quality, and/or bacterial invasion).  Also, it is sometimes suggested that clearing up any water quality issues may be all that is needed to help the fish get back to normal.  I'm not making any suggestions here, just passing along some info I've come across while researching fin rot wrt our own Betta.

If you decide to use meds, the charcoal/carbon filter needs to be removed regardless of its age as it may interfere with the meds ability to work.  Your filter can be replaced with some bulk filter material cut to size or the charcoal filter you have can be broken up to get the charcoal out (the filter will need to be replaced anyway).  Leave the bio-wheel in place.

All the Maracyns you mentioned (1, 2 and plus) are good to have on hand as you never know when you'll need them (but you can be assured that when you need them, they won't be available).  From what I've read here, the Jungle Labs Fungus Clear is a good place to start.  Maracyn 2 would be the next step and a combo of Maracyn and Maracyn 2 would follow that.  Using the Maracyns in an uncycled tank needing water changes is not easy and requires more meds than would be needed in a cycled tank.  If you catch this soon enough, the JL Fungus Clear may be all you need, though.

Hope this was helpful.

Mike

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Couldn't add a thing but my best wishes and prayers. Please keep us informed and I am so sorry that the weekend has been complicated by this.

I can only tell you that MANY things could be responsible. The best guess in your case and some of the others that are going through this right now and one MAJOR one is STRESS. Probably due to being uncycled. In my own case, I am quite sure that it is STRESS due to having no electricity the other night and the fish got cold.

It is so hard to try to guess what will stress our little friends so much that they get sick but I will say that Bettas are very High-strung and get stressed and depressed easily so you are not alone.

As I have said, you all are in my prayers and thoughts today and always. Best of luck.

Rose

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Good Morning and thanks Mike & Rose for your advise...Neptune is acting fine this morning, but it sounds like they do even as their fins are rotting away?? It doesn't look any different from last night, but I am going to go ahead and pick this stuff up. I was going to get all that stuff when I bought him, after reading this site, but I didn't....dah.

Anyway, Rose, since you said it could be stress also, any chance it could be stress caused by external factors - like one with whiskers and a tail? I saw the cat paw at the tank a couple times yesterday, and I was busy with housework, so never chased her away. She doesn't usually paw, just sits and looks. but I will be more watchful and try to keep her down. I am usually here most of the time.

I haven't tested/change water yet today, I think I will get the medicine, change water, pull filter, then medicate. I will keep you posted. So thankful to you guys! Your support is awesome.

Val

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LOL...anything that might make him feel a bit threatened or challenged beyond his ability to handle would certainly qualify I would think. I think paws and a tail and a big head and teeth would do it.

Rose

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Bless you for making me laugh, Rose!

I just got home, and here is what I bought. PIMAFIX & MELAFIX, also JUNGLE FUNGUS ELIMINATOR ( I think this is the same thing, if so, I will take it back). I also bought JUNGLE ICK GUARD ( planning ahead.....so I have it ). I couldn't find FUNGUS CLEAR BUDDIES, they only had AMMONIA CLEAR BUDDIES. I weasled my way out of my committment, so will just be able to change water. ( or not depending upon medicating).

They did not carry Marcyn, should I order some ( if so both of them or which one) , is it better or the same as what I bought? [/u] I had the Foster & Smith catalogue with me and that kinda helped. But if [b]there is still something I should order, let me know and I will do that today.[/b]

Water testing was:
AMMONIA - very, very pale, but still registering. My test card goes from 0ppm to .5 -1.0 ppm...so I guess it could be registering at .25, but there is very slight colour just the same.

NITRATE & NITRITE - both 0ppm.

Now I am not sure how to proceed. Should I do a water change, then add Pimafix and/or Melafix. I see Melafix is antibacterial and Pimafix antfungal. It says I should repeat dose for 7 days and then change 25% of the water. What about the cycling?

Do you add the stuff direct to the tank with the fish still in it, dilute it first with tank water, or take fish out???[/u]

So once again, I will wait for sage advise. I will go ahead and do the water change and condition a new batch until someone hopefully will have some answers..

So many questions.................Val

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
YIKES! No wonder the word Melafix sounded familiar -- I just reread Rose's warning........so it will go back to the stor. So now I will have to go get Bettafix, I think I saw that there.

Or would the Jungle Fungus eliminator do.....it says it clears fin &mouth rot!

Whew avoided that tragedy!!

Val

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
You're much better off the jungle fungus tabs. I wouldn't get bettafix, it's the same as Melafix, only at a lower dosage. Natalie

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Natalie...the jungle Fungus eliminator is kinda granulated. Do I just put it in or dissolve it first? Leave neptune in or out.

How is your fish?

Val

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
Well I've never used it before. What do the instructions say on it? By granulated, you mean it's powder? I'm pretty sure with thhat you can just put it right into the tank. Just follow the instructions for the correct amount.

Royell seems to look much better.His color is back. He still hasn't eaten anything yet, but I know he will when he feels he ready to eat again. Right now, I just want him to get as much rest as possible, so I'm trying not to push the food situation. I've been shutting his loight off around 7-7:30 every night. Thanks for asking. Natalie

nmwierman1977

Well Known
Reaction score
You know I was thinking, maybe instead of going with the Jungle labs, maybe go with Maracyn2 instead, only because it's a little stronger then the Jungle labs and your tank isn't cycled yet. With that you just dissolve the tablets in 10 oz of water and then it's 1 oz per gallon water. I'm assuming you don't have a hospital tank you would pour 5 oz in because you have the 5 oz tank, right? I would just hate for you to use the jungle labs and have them not work because it's not that strong of a med especially with an uncycled tank. It's completely up to you of course. Natalie

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Nast, I don't have Maracyn 1 or 2. I am going to order some stuff this weekend from Foster & Smith and then I will have it.

I just did a 25% water change, so think I will wait to see if any other ideas and answers to all those other questions come in, and if not, just treat with the Fungus eliminator. It is a powder. 1 tsp to 5 gallons. My tank is an Eclipse 6. Would I just dump it in, or dilute in some aquarium water first. Do I leave neptune in or take him out. Do I keep changing the water every day or leave it for 4 days as it says?

wish I lived in the city sometimes!

Val

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
If you're going to use the JL Fungus Eliminator, I'd put 1 and 1/5 tsp of the powder in a cup that has some tank water in it, mix it up, then pour it into the tank (that is, unless the directions tell you to do otherwise).  Measuring out 1 and 1/5 teaspoon could be kind of hard.  What you might do, then, is put two tsp in 10 ounces of tank water, then put 6 ounces of that solution into the tank.  You should not need to remove Neptune for the purpose of adding the meds, just try to not dump it on his head.

If you can do a 50% or greater water change before adding the meds, that might get you through four days without having to do a water change.  That would save you some meds measuring because any meds you take out with a water change during the treatment will need to be replaced.

Good luck to you and Neptune.

Mike

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Thanks Mike, I have done about 25% water change earlier in the evening. I will do the treatment now as you suggested, after taking out the charcoal.

so tomorrow do I change 50% of the water, another treatment and see if I can go 4 days without changing water , but doing the daily treatment? And keep checking ammonia every day ( and other tests). Does this affect cycling?

Thanks. I will go treat and check back later for your reply.

Val

OP
voiceless_kat

voiceless_kat

Well Known
Reaction score
Okay, I dumped it in - water looks weird. So tomorrow I just test for ammonia as usual, do 50% water change? and remedicate? Or just leave it now for 4 days?

sorry I am so confused/scared I will hurt Neptune. Val ..............trying to do it the right way!!

LZ Floyd

Reaction score
Without having used the Eliminator, I don't know what the directions say.  Is there a daily treatment of 1 tsp/5 gal, and for how long?  Or is it one dose of 1 tsp/5 gal for a four day period?  Do they suggest water changes, or none?  Without knowing the protocol, it's hard to line up a water change schedule.

As for the cycle, doing water changes may slow the cycle.  

Mike

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom