Fin Rot - How long to continue with daily water changes?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by zipzomo, Jan 3, 2013.

1. zipzomoNew MemberMember

Hi All,

Previously, I was doing a 2 gallon water change once a week. Then I noticed my betta's tail tips getting black. When I did a nitrate test it was at 5.0ppm. I started doing 2 gallon water changes twice a week. Then I thought it would make my betta happier if I lowered the filter flow from full power to half and turned off his air stone so the water would be calmer. A few days after, I noticed his tail was getting thin and transparent!

Now I'm doing daily 4 gallon water changes to my 10 gallon tank to help heal my betta with fin rot. I add Boyd Vita-Chem with each water change and soak the food with it twice a day. Some days I soak the food in Seachem Garlic Guard. I've also turned the filter flow to full power and turned the air stone back on.

I have been doing daily water changes for a week, how long do I keep up the daily water changes? Also, should I be vacuuming gravel at each change? I don't mind doing daily water changes but I'm worried that I may overdo the cleaning and send my tank into a mini cycle!

Can anyone share their experience or give advice on this? Thanks!

2. GordinianWell Known MemberMember

I'm currently dealing with fin rot on one of my bettas. I tried getting the water as pristine as I could, but it just wasn't working. I actually just started a thread asking what meds I should use to handle it.

If you find that there is no improvement even with daily water changes, you may want to consider medication. Sometimes it takes more than clean water.

I was recommended maracyn 1&2 but ended up getting maracyn plus, because I couldn't find 1&2 ANYWHERE; maracyn plus is apparently stronger, but will still treat.

Welcome to fishlore!

3. EiennaFishlore VIPMember

You can also try seachem paraguard; I used it successfully for finrot just recently.
    If you change water with a siphon like I do, go ahead and vac the gravel as you go. Most of your bacteria will be in the filter, and anyway, just vacuuming the gravel won't disturb it too much.

4. zipzomoNew MemberMember

Thank you both for your replies.

I was hoping to treat the fin rot without the use of medications but I will certainly research further if I don't see an improvement. I have heard about maracyn 1 and 2 from this forum but I didn't know about Seachem Paraguard for treating fin rot. Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice