Fin Rot Help 5 Gallon Tank 

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok, so I have a red and blue male betta in a 5 gallon hex right now. His permanent home is actually a 10 gallon that unfortunately I had to move out of due to an ICH breakout in my main tank (lots of swapping, I'll spare you the details).

The 5 gallon is not cycled, and I do daily 50% water changes and use prime and stress coat.

The tips of his fins look like a brown color. He is eating, though I can only seem to get him to eat blood worms. No pellets or flakes.

This morning he made a bubble nest, and he is very active.

Does this sound like fin rot? How do I treat this? I read on the profile for fin rot that a lot of medicines require you to not do water changes, but since the tank isn't cycled I know this would be dangerous for him.

Right now I have 0ppm readings for ammonia, nirites, and nitrates.

cajunfiberco

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
From what I hear the best medicine for fin rot is pristine warm water, vita-chem, & garlic soaked foods. I'm currently following this advice myself as one of my boys is all torn up Already I see an improvement in him, and it's just been 1 day.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
great advice from cajunfiberco...also adding some stress coat helps as well...but it doesn't happen over night so give it a few weeks don't do such large water changes unless you have ammonia/nitrites...sometimes cleaning too much isnt good either

fishtroy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Good advice above while treating just keep an eye on his behaviour, when he stops being happy within himself, it is time to worry. If not then it is a good sign!

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks, I got some Xtreme Garlic today... my LFS doesn't carry GarlicGuard but he said it's the same thing... really pricey 18 bucks a bottle... and stinky! Whoo! I usually love the smell of garlic too.

Anyway, I also got some brine shrimp flake food, soaked it in the garlic stuff. He still wouldn't eat it. So I soaked the dried blood worms in it and he slurped it up. Silly boy. At least he's eating. Any other suggestions for food for a picky betta?

I seeded the tank with decorations and I ran the filter on another cycled tank before this one. Today (day 3) I got nitrites (.25ppm) and nitrate (10ppm). I did another 50% water change because of the nitrites. I guess things are moving along nicely.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads