Fin Rot Getting Worst!! Help 

Donetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My 6.6 gal just recycled and my Betta Fin Rot is getting worst. The plan was to do daily water changes but then I check this morning and the rot has made the fin damge bigger. Is there any thing else I can do. To make things worse I'm going on vacation for 4 days and leaving Sat. I might be able to ge a niece to help with some water changes but I'll have to teach her everything and that's alittle scary. I was thinking of moving him in a non cycled 1 gal for cleaner water and may be easier for her to deal with. I'm aT the store right now and bought stress coat and going to buy fish protector. I'm even thinking of taking him with me but that seems A little crazy. Please help

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/feb08/fish-finrot.htm
I've never used any type of medication apart from melafix to deal with fins so I can't comment on the effectiveness of the antibiotics listed on that link, but it gives you an idea of what to work with. Just remember that many different kind of antibiotics will also kill the beneficial bacteria in your tank so its best to treat in a separate tank or get a treatment that doesn't mess with the BB. Best of luck!

And as a side note, DO NOT USE Melafix on bettas or any other labyrinth organ fish, it can hurt/kill them.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
when I had to deal with cousins coral blue gouramI (mine now) I used Bettafix. I know it sounds a bit weird but it is all he had, turns out it worked like a charm. It should work for your Betta, and it also says that it heals skin damages, although I haven't needed it for that.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The uncycled 1 gallon is not a good place for him. Firstly, it's uncycled and secondly, the ammonia and nitrite will build up so much more quickly in such a small tank. Doing a water change in a 6.6g shouldn't be difficult unless you're asking a child to do it. It's not like a 180g tank or something.

Taking him with you isn't a good idea either. Traveling will stress him out and stress + already-weakened immune system = really bad stuff like ICH and rapid worsening of his fin rot.

Get some Bettafix if you can, it can help. I don't remember if I mentioned the other stuff to try in my response to your other threadast night. But StressCoat, Pimafix, Bettafix, Vita-chem and soaking his food in garlic can help.

-Lisa

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Kunsthure said:
The uncycled 1 gallon is not a good place for him. Firstly, it's uncycled and secondly, the ammonia and nitrite will build up so much more quickly in such a small tank. Doing a water change in a 6.6g shouldn't be difficult unless you're asking a child to do it. It's not like a 180g tank or something.

Taking him with you isn't a good idea either. Traveling will stress him out and stress + already-weakened immune system = really bad stuff like ICH and rapid worsening of his fin rot.

Get some Bettafix if you can, it can help. I don't remember if I mentioned the other stuff to try in my response to your other threadast night. But StressCoat, Pimafix, Bettafix, Vita-chem and soaking his food in garlic can help.

-Lisa
I don't actually think bettafix, pimafix or melafix are recommended for bettas. they all are supposed to damage the labyrinth organ. but yes on the stress coat, vita-chem and garlic. med wise......one of the maracyns might work....

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Actually BettaFix is specially formulated to work with bettas and other labyrinth fish.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bettafix is just a weaker version of the melafix so should still be approached with a lot of care-to be on the safe side of course.

With fin rot, pristine water will do wonders and Vita-Chem is great for fin regeneration too!

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Have you been down to your lfs? Have a look at what they have in terms of meds, and work out the ones that are safe for bettas, then write them all in here,

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Donetta said:
My 6.6 gal just recycled and my Betta Fin Rot is getting worst. The plan was to do daily water changes but then I check this morning and the rot has made the fin damge bigger. Is there any thing else I can do. To make things worse I'm going on vacation for 4 days and leaving Sat. I might be able to ge a niece to help with some water changes but I'll have to teach her everything and that's alittle scary. I was thinking of moving him in a non cycled 1 gal for cleaner water and may be easier for her to deal with. I'm aT the store right now and bought stress coat and going to buy fish protector. I'm even thinking of taking him with me but that seems A little crazy. Please help
if you have a filter, make sure the intake isnt sucking him in there...you can put a sponge/nylon over the intake, to be safe....do you know your water parimeters? bettas are small waste producers and unless your water is way off, he should be ok while you are gone...do a big water change with some stress coat+ before you leave, and as long as you aren't gone for weeks. he should be ok....the fish protector will help even more......

ranga97 said:
Have you been down to your lfs? Have a look at what they have in terms of meds, and work out the ones that are safe for bettas, then write them all in here,
how does one work out what's best for bettas and be safe about it? there's been a few suggestions on what doesn't work so far...and the op is leaving....gosh knows, we don't want to send someone for meds, to "try to see if it works" while they are on vaca

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I mean they might have some that we have forget to mention..

Donetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I so appreciate all the support you all have given me it's truly awesome. This whole situation is rather taxing. The weird thing is that I was all excited about my tank having recycled on Sunday morn my readings were 0,0,5. Then I test again last night before the wc and my Am was .25. I don't know how can this be, I'm using the same liquid test..so frustrating. So I have to do daily water changes to keep the water pristine and medications are out because I have to change the water daily. Sorry I made a mistake the fin rot is not getting worse it's still the same, I thought there was an extra eaten section. However I looked at the pic again and it's the same. Glad I got a really good pic for comparison purposes. So yesterday I started adding the stress coat, fish protector and already had been using prime. Someone made a good point why wud my AM spike so quickly it's just Richie in the tank. I'm baffled as to if I'm cycled, I'll test the water again, I always test before the water change. How do you put a stocking on the filter? Rubberbands? I'm not sure if the happen though, however I'll check the suction. As for problems with the water, the only thing I can think of is that I had only vac'd half of the tank one time in a four week period due to cycling. And at one point I had 3-5 Tetras in the tank. Also last night I took out some 4 week old carbon but that shouldn't matter. Also since I've been having these AM problems I vac'd the other side of the tank last night. Some said it was ok due to BB mostly being in the filter.

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That happened to me when my tank was cycling, I thought it was cycled so I added two platies and then I has another ammonia spike, luckily they didn't die but I felt sorry for them.

Donetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
How long did it take to cycle after that? Maybe I'm close?

Donetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can someone tell me how to cover the filter intake with panty hose?

ranga97

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Donetta, It took me about another two weeks to complete the second ammonia spike. just remember not to clean out your filter,
by doing that, more bacteria may grow faster.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads